transitive verb -tt-
- (dog/horse)he patted her on the shoulder
darle palmaditas ale dio unas palmaditas en el hombropat the earth firm around the plantapisone bien la tierra alrededor de la planta con las manosto pat a ballbotar or (Chile) darle botes a or (River Plate area) hacer picar la pelotashe patted down her hairse atusó el peloto pat somebody on the back(congratulate) felicitar a alguien(lit) darle una palmadita en la espalda a alguienI patted myself on the back for rememberingme congratulé de haberlo recordado
me felicité por haberlo recordadoExample sentences
- I quickly patted down my pockets and, finding nothing, I frantically checked the pavement around me.
- If the baby stops breathing, a nurse will stimulate the baby to start breathing by patting him or touching the soles of his feet.
- He patted me quickly on the back then scuttled off down the far end of the cat walk.
- 1(tap) palmadita (feminine)
golpecito (masculine)(touch) toque (masculine)to give somebody a pat on the back(congratulate) felicitar a alguien(lit) darle una palmadita en la espalda a alguienyou deserve a pat on the back for thatmereces que te feliciten por esoExample sentences
- He gave her a quick kiss and a quick pat on my shoulder before he left, leaving Crystal and I staring across the table at each other.
- Desa gave him a friendly pat on the arm, then rejoined her ‘friend’ in the back of the group.
- Scotty gives Johnny a friendly pat on the arm before leaving the room.
- 2 (Cookery) (of butter)Example sentences
- A pat of butter was melted in the pan, sufficient in quantity to thoroughly lubricate the whole of its surface, and leave a coating of moisture about an eighth of an inch deep over all.
- Put a pat of butter on each slice of bread (one slice per person).
- We were bought a complimentary plate of various breads to share, with a pat of butter and a little bowl of the most beautiful looking, vibrant orange marmalade.
- [pejorative](answer)he always has some pat excuse
fácilsiempre tiene una excusa preparadaExample sentences
- All you have are pat answers and glib retorts that turn out, on ten seconds' worth of thought, to be mindless platitudes.
- There are no glib, pat answers that will provide comfort to people of faith in the face of such an overwhelming, needless tragedy, says Christian.
- The reason this makes me want to wash my hands of humanity forever, even though I'm sure the person that says it means no harm by spouting this kind of pat answer.
- 1 (by heart) to have o know something down o (British English) off patsaberse algo al dedillo or de memoriato get o learn something down (American English) o (British English) off pataprender algo de memoriathe answer came patrespondió inmediatamente or automáticamente
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.