- 1 c 1.1 (in chess) peón (m)More example sentences1.2 (manipulated person) títere (m)
More example sentences
- The game of chess with sword-wielding pawns and deadly queens is both dramatic and mightily beautiful.
- Finally when a player promotes a pawn, they swap it for one of the pieces that their partner's opponent is waiting to place on their board.
- Also important is the number of pawns on the board, especially when the minor piece is the knight.
- To her father, she was merely a bargaining tool, a pawn in the game of politics, not a daughter.
- They were no longer willing to be pawns in the game of power being played out between the Indian and Pakistani governments, or indeed the militants.
- Up to now, these nations have been able to play around with terrorists as if they were pawns in this geopolitical game.
- 2 c u (pledge) prenda (f) to place sth in pawn empeñar algo, dejar algo en prenda to redeem sth from pawn desempeñar algo
Santería is a religious cult, fusing African beliefs and Catholicism, which developed among African Yoruba slaves in Cuba. Followers believe both in a single supreme being and also in orishas, deities who each share an identity with a Christian saint and who combine a force of nature with human characteristics. Rituals involve music, dancing, sacrificial offerings, divination, and going into trances.