- 1 (in chess) peón (masculine)More example sentences
- The game of chess with sword-wielding pawns and deadly queens is both dramatic and mightily beautiful.
- Finally when a player promotes a pawn, they swap it for one of the pieces that their partner's opponent is waiting to place on their board.
- Also important is the number of pawns on the board, especially when the minor piece is the knight.
- 2 (manipulated person) títere (masculine)More example sentences
- To her father, she was merely a bargaining tool, a pawn in the game of politics, not a daughter.
- They were no longer willing to be pawns in the game of power being played out between the Indian and Pakistani governments, or indeed the militants.
- Up to now, these nations have been able to play around with terrorists as if they were pawns in this geopolitical game.
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- c and u (pledge) prenda (feminine) to place sth in pawn empeñar algo, dejar algo en prenda to redeem sth from pawn desempeñar algo