Translation of peace in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 uncountable they live in o at peace with their neighborsviven en paz con sus vecinosthe two nations have been at peace for yearshace años que las dos naciones viven en pazto be at peace with oneself [literary]estar en paz consigo mismoto be at peace with the worldestar satisfecho de la vidato make peace with somebodyhacer las paces con alguienthey made their peace after their mother's deathhicieron las paces tras la muerte de su madre(before noun)
para la paz(proposal/initiative)
de paz(march/campaign)peace conference
por la pazconferencia (feminine) de pazpeace envoy the peace movementel movimiento pacifistahe brought her flowers as a peace offeringle trajo flores en señal de reconciliaciónpeace settlementacuerdo (masculine) de pazpeace studiesestudios (masculine plural) de or para la pazExample sentences1.2 countable (treaty) the Peace of Ryswick
la Paz de RyswickExample sentences
- It had gained respect and authority by ushering in a period of peace and stability in the city.
- That's what I think Americans can do with this providential period of prosperity and peace.
- The resulting peace agreement included a six-year interim period before a vote on independence.
- Finally, in 1842, the Chinese were forced to agree to an ignomious peace under the Treaty of Nanking.
- If Israelis and Palestinians are unwilling or unable to negotiate a workable peace, the international community must take the lead in promoting one.
- We must conduct our affairs in such a way that it becomes in the Communists' interest to agree on a genuine peace.
- 2 (Law)to keep the peace (police/troops) to breach o (British English) disturb the peacealterar el orden públicoExample sentences
- We know this fight is the way to defend the values that are at the basis of civil life and peace.
- Contention leads to war, and war is the antithesis of civil peace.
- To recognize the right to free association might have meant to deprive hundreds of millions of the right of civil peace.
- 3 (quiet, tranquillity) the peace and quiet of the countrysidela paz y tranquilidad del campoI went to the library for some peace and quietme fui a la biblioteca para poder estar tranquilothe peace of mind that comes with old age I turned off the gas for my own peace of mindapagué el gas para quedarme tranquiloto be at peacedescansar en pazrest in peaceque en paz descanselet me finish this in peacedéjame acabar esto en pazlet me have a bit of peacedéjame tranquilo or en paz un momentohe won't give you any peace until he's got what he wantsno te va a dejar tranquila or en paz hasta que no se salga con la suyato hold one's peace [formal] [archaic]guardar silenciospeak now or forever hold your peaceque hable ahora o que calle para siempreExample sentences
- Now my Sundays are for worship, family, friends, reading, rest, and relaxation-such freedom and peace.
- He said the number of visitors also had a social impact, both on other visitors who went in search of peace and tranquillity, and on the local population.
- There was just something about her that radiated peace, tranquility, and that made her very popular.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.