noun fountain pen
- pluma (feminine) estilográfica
pluma (feminine) fuente (Latin America)
lapicera (feminine) fuente (Southern Cone)
estilógrafo (masculine) (Colombia)also: ballpoint penbolígrafo (masculine)
boli (masculine) (Spain) [colloquial]
birome (feminine) (River Plate area)
pluma (feminine) atómica (Mexico)
lápiz (masculine) de pasta (Chile)also: felt penhe had never actually put o set pen to papernunca se había puesto a escribirpen and ink sketch
nunca había escrito nadaboceto (masculine) a plumillathe pen is mightier than the swordmás puede la pluma que la espadaExample sentences
- Two years later, she pleaded guilty to conspiracy to defraud and was sentenced to nine months in the federal pen.
- You know, they bury guys alive out at the federal pen for stuff like that.
- It matters, but you really want to go to the heavy federal pen if you want street credibility.
transitive verb -nn-
- He has a penchant for writing and has penned a few hundred poems.
- And you dare not write off people who pen moaning letters to parish newsletters or local papers as cantankerous curmudgeons.
- But as any screenplay handbook will tell you, writing for motion pictures is not about penning lines of dialogue; it is about fashioning a narrative and constructing an event.
- (Agriculture)also: sheep penalso: cattle penExample sentences
- Along with the original small red house, the farm now has two barns, a sheep pen, and several sheds.
- The sheep pens are on display and all strawed up, but will remain empty for two days whilst the show goes on around.
- Then he moved on to sniff around the sheep where the lambing pen had been.
- Research teams were then randomly assigned to a pen of birds.
- He was helping The Boss put a pen of cattle through the scales before they were trucked out so that they could take out the ones that didn't make the contracted weight.
- Best price of the day went to the man from Lockton for a pen of hoggs at 121p/kilo.
- (Zoology) (female swan)cisne (masculine) hembraExample sentences
- The pen, or female swan, was visible on the nest, but there was no sign of her paramour.
- The two swans (a pen and a cob) have since brought seven baby cygnets into the world.
- There are ducks and cranes, and every few miles a cob and pen circle as only swans can in their own territory.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.