noun fountain pen
- pluma (feminine) estilográfica
pluma (feminine) fuente (Latin America)
lapicera (feminine) fuente (Southern Cone)
estilógrafo (masculine) (Colombia)also: ballpoint penbolígrafo (masculine)
boli (masculine) (Spain) [colloquial]
birome (feminine) (River Plate area)
pluma (feminine) atómica (Mexico)
lápiz (masculine) de pasta (Chile)also: felt penhe had never actually put o set pen to papernunca se había puesto a escribirpen and ink sketch
nunca había escrito nadaboceto (masculine) a plumillathe pen is mightier than the swordmás puede la pluma que la espadaExample sentences
- Two years later, she pleaded guilty to conspiracy to defraud and was sentenced to nine months in the federal pen.
- You know, they bury guys alive out at the federal pen for stuff like that.
- It matters, but you really want to go to the heavy federal pen if you want street credibility.
transitive verb -nn-
- He has a penchant for writing and has penned a few hundred poems.
- And you dare not write off people who pen moaning letters to parish newsletters or local papers as cantankerous curmudgeons.
- But as any screenplay handbook will tell you, writing for motion pictures is not about penning lines of dialogue; it is about fashioning a narrative and constructing an event.
- (Agriculture)also: sheep penalso: cattle penExample sentences
- Along with the original small red house, the farm now has two barns, a sheep pen, and several sheds.
- The sheep pens are on display and all strawed up, but will remain empty for two days whilst the show goes on around.
- Then he moved on to sniff around the sheep where the lambing pen had been.
- Research teams were then randomly assigned to a pen of birds.
- He was helping The Boss put a pen of cattle through the scales before they were trucked out so that they could take out the ones that didn't make the contracted weight.
- Best price of the day went to the man from Lockton for a pen of hoggs at 121p/kilo.
- (Zoology) (female swan)cisne (masculine) hembraExample sentences
- The pen, or female swan, was visible on the nest, but there was no sign of her paramour.
- The two swans (a pen and a cob) have since brought seven baby cygnets into the world.
- There are ducks and cranes, and every few miles a cob and pen circle as only swans can in their own territory.
- (prison)(American English) [slang]in the pen
cana (masculine and feminine) (South America) [slang]
talego (masculine) (Spain) [slang]
tanque (masculine) (Mexico) [slang]a la sombra [colloquial]
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.