Translation of penalize in Spanish:
- 1 (punish) candidates will be penalized for …se quitarán puntos or se bajará la nota por …heavily penalized offensesdelitos que son severamente castigadospenalized by lawpenado por la leyExample sentences
- Basketball is supposed to be a non-contact sport and referees penalise players that bump, barge and shove an opponent.
- Before, the kicking team was penalized if a player came within 2 yards of a returner before he caught the ball.
- They would cheer when a goal was scored, boo when the umpires penalized their favorite player, and jump up and down in glee when they won the game.
- 2 (affect disadvantageously) [formal]perjudicar
colocar en desventajaExample sentences
- I believe it is unfair to penalise parents who miss the payment of this allowance due to this.
- Although a child can be thrown out of a school if false information has been used, most councils said they would not consider this as it was unfair to penalise pupils for their parents' wrongdoing.
- All of them have the disadvantage of penalizing the investor for selling the fund, even years after purchase.
- 3 (make punishable, illegal)Example sentences
- In addition to luring you with offers of free miles and free money, airlines have also taken the reverse approach and are trying to dissuade travelers from booking offline by penalizing the customers who do so.
- Starting July 1, locals who leave their bicycles about on the city's main streets will be penalized with a fine of five yuan.
- Violatiors will be penalised with fines of 20 000 to 120 000 leva.
- It discharges this function in many cases, but in many others it remains silent, merely enacting a provision which appears to penalize an act or an omission without any reference to fault.
- If there is a reason for treating the two categories of entrant differently it must be in order to penalise the trespasser's wrongdoing.
- The statutory objective is to penalise the unauthorised possession of dangerous or otherwise harmful drugs.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.