Translation of penance in Spanish:
noununcountable and countable
- 1.1 (Religion) for penance say three Hail Maryscomo penitencia reza tres avemaríasto do penance for somethinghacer penitencia por algoto perform a public penancehacer un acto de contrición públicoExample sentences1.2 (punishment) [humorous]
- They extended to religious observance and penance, or expiation, though in the later period there is a tendency to concentrate on what looks more today, in the west, like law.
- I'm doing my duty and my penance now, but I'll always be a woman who loves a good show.
- On the minus side, being presented with such an array of dishes almost always results in the type of culinary blow-out which requires hours of penance in the gym afterwards.
- Ignorant and wicked are the doings of those priests who, in the case of the dying, reserve canonical penances for purgatory.
- In the bitter cold of winter, the yogi undertook various penances which, it was said, gave him great powers.
- Speaking of which, will the guidelines for penances have to be re-written?
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.