Translation of persecute in Spanish:
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1.1 (victimize) perseguir*Example sentences1.2 (pester, tease) molestar, incordiar (Spain/España) [colloquial/familiar]
- She claims she has been persecuted because of her religious beliefs.
- We should also be targeting the source of the problem: repressive governments which persecute their own citizens.
- We see a dictator using force to repress and persecute his opponents.
- For three years after DNA evidence proved his innocence, the authorities persisted in persecuting him.
- They are doing the opposite by picking on them and by persecuting people more than they have for years.
- Last week we witnessed two fine examples of the extent to which anti-smoking zealots will go in order to hound and persecute smokers.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
A piñata is a hollow figure made of cardboard, or from a clay pot lined with colored paper. Filled with fruit, candy, toys, etc, and hung up at parties, people take turns to stand in front of them blindfolded and try to break them with a stick. They feature in Mexican posadas