Translation of petition in Spanish:
- 1 (written document) to sign a petitionfirmar una peticiónExample sentences
- I hope Evening Press readers will sign petitions and write to their MPs demanding that these plans to pay benefits directly into banks are scrapped.
- Well, I've signed a lot of petitions and written a lot of letters.
- Even if you never write letters, sign petitions, or speak up in public, you can still make a difference in this world.
- 2 (Law) a petition for divorce, a divorce petitionuna demanda de divorcioto file or lodge a petitionExample sentences
- The election is subject to the result of the writ petitions before the Supreme Court on the domicile status of candidates contesting the poll.
- There are very recent cases, some of which I have discussed in a previous column, in which courts have denied petitions for fault divorce.
- When convicted prisoners brought petitions for writs of habeas corpus before the U.S. Supreme Court, the prisoners were released immediately.
- 3 (prayer, entreaty) [formal]Example sentences
- Nor, for that matter, COULD they regulate anyone's private petitions to their own deity!
- Verse eight declares the defeat of the foul foe and verse nine is a concluding petition to the God of Israel.
- The shaman is about to perform a cha-chac ceremony: a petition to the god, Chac, to send rain.
- [formal]elevar una petición a [formal]Example sentences
- The races of Lannith petitioned the gods for aid, and the gods as a whole, for no known reason, suddenly turned their backs on all of their servants.
- Worshipers often petitioned the gods for life spans of a hundred years and for permanent life in a similar body in an ideal but comparable world.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.