Translation of piece in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (part of something broken, torn, cut, divided) a piece of breadun pedazo or un trozo de panshe ripped the letter into piecesrompió la carta en pedacitosa piece of land
hizo trizas la cartaun terrenoto come o fall to pieces
una parcelahacerse pedazosshe smashed the vase to pieceshizo añicos el jarrónhe was blown to pieces by a mineuna mina lo voló en pedazosthe toy lay in pieces on the floorel juguete estaba en el suelo, hecho pedazosher life in pieces, she made up her mind to …con la vida deshecha or en ruinas, decidió …in one piecethey got back in one piecevolvieron sanos y salvosI dropped it, but it's still in one piecese me cayó, pero está intactoto be a piece of cake [colloquial]ser pan comido or (in River Plate area also) un bollo [colloquial]to go to pieces(be very upset)
quedar deshecho or destrozado(break down)he went to pieces after his wife left him
perder el controlquedó deshecho or destrozado cuando la mujer lo dejóto pick up the pieceshe gets himself into trouble and expects me to pick up the piecesse mete en líos y después pretende que yo le saque las castañas del fuegohe's trying to pick up the pieces of his lifeestá tratando de rehacer su vidato pull something/somebody to piecesdestrozar algo/a alguienhe pulled her essay to piecesle destrozó el trabajo
le criticó duramente el trabajoExample sentences1.2 (component) he's taken the clock to pieces
ha desarmado or desmontado el relojit comes to pieceses desmontablewe took the novel to piecesanalizamos la novela parte por partea three-piece suitun traje de tres piezasthe pieces are starting to fall into place
- In a second the whole sword was broken in pieces and Kashiro's attack continued.
- Sections of main roads are completely broken to pieces.
- Then she took out a lump of sandalwood from the wall cupboard, washed it, broke it in pieces, dissolved it in water and cleaned her face and arms with the paste.
un ternolas cosas se están empezando a aclararExample sentences
- The scribble is constructed from 229 separate pieces of steel, weighs 25 tonnes and has 72 twists.
- All of the pieces are cast or constructed in nonferrous metals, so that they resonate musically.
- Sometimes pieces of the construct will be inserted as well as, or instead of, the full construct.
- 2 (item) a piece of adviceun consejo500 pieces of artillery500 piezas de artilleríaa piece of chewing gumun chiclea piece of clothinguna prenda (de ropa)a piece of fruituna frutaa piece of furniture
una pieza de frutaun mueblea piece of jewelryuna alhajaan absurd piece of legislationuna norma ( or disposición etc) absurdathat was a piece of luck!¡qué suerte!how many pieces of luggage do they have?¿cuántos bultos llevan?a piece of newsuna noticiaa piece of paperun papelan excellent piece of workun trabajo excelentewe sell the cutlery by the piece (British English)vendemos los cubiertos sueltos or por piezasof a piecethey are all of a pieceestán todos cortados por el mismo patrónto be a nasty piece of work [colloquial]ser una basura or [colloquial] una porqueríato give somebody a piece of one's mindcantarle las cuarenta or decirle cuatro verdades a alguien
- 3 3.1 (Music)a piece (of music)una pieza (de música)3.2 (Theater) 3.3 (Journalism) 3.4 (of poetry) to say one's piecedar su ( or mi etc) opinión3.5 (Art)
- We're not trying to just write songs, we're trying to write musical pieces.
- His close friendships with women produced some of the best-known pieces of music ever written by any composer; but they did not secure him a wife.
- A child prodigy, he wrote his first piece of music at the age of five and completed his first symphony at the age of eight.
- 4 (coin) a 50 peso pieceuna moneda de 50 pesosExample sentences
- Is there any risk that the two euro coin will be mistaken for the Thai 10 baht piece, whose face value is eight times less?
- They also included a selection of threepenny bits, a 1916 halfpenny and a penny piece from 1921.
- Well, you have to admit it's slightly more plausible than upping the value of the penny piece to £1.
- 5 5.1 (in board games) 5.2 (in chess)Example sentences
- Here, however, you will find more coverage of endgames with more pieces and pawns.
- This can be done by a pawn break or by a sacrifice involving pieces or pawns.
- Though the Queen is the strongest piece, it is vulnerable to attack by weaker enemy units.
- She was sat on her desk, moving some puzzles' pieces, trying to figure out something, maybe an image, or a letter.
- Knowing this, you can try and figure out which pieces are which simply by how they're being moved.
- It was an abstract race game called Tempo in which pieces were moved not by the roll of the dice, but by the playing of cards.
- 6 (handgun) [slang]Example sentences
- Not every man knows his way around a shooting piece, but firearms are a manly art.
- It will be surrounded by a two metre-deep trench and have only one entrance, which will be protected by artillery pieces and machine gun posts.
- The cavalry turned in its horses for pack mules because mules could carry artillery pieces through rugged terrain.
- 7 (distance) (American English) [colloquial]a pieceun trechothat's a fair piece from herequeda a un buen trecho de aquí
de aquí es un tirón (River Plate area) [colloquial]
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.