- 1 (on dice, domino)Example sentences
- Each domino with 10 pips - - is worth 10 points to the side that wins it in their tricks.
- They include a bizarre grand piano, not only reconstructed by Philip Webb but in addition decorated by Kate Faulkner with playing-card pips, mottoes and whorls of gilt gesso-work.
- In both cases, the players who did not domino score the total of the pips on the tiles left in their hand.
- 2 (British) (Military) (on uniform)Example sentences
- The other man was solidly built, and dressed in a black uniform, two golden pips on each shoulder, and with his hands gloved in a similar black.
- I did not even have time to get out of the door before a man in a white shirt full of shoulder pips and a stern look on his face appeared to warn me off taking action.
- He was in full dress uniform, black with golden pips and a red beret.
noun(British) (Radio, Telecommunications)
- wait for the pipsespere a oír la señalExample sentences
- When logging off, the device will emit three short pip sounds to indicate testing has finished.
- We made do with the pips on digital Radio 2, and the engaged burr of mobiles as the servers overflowed.
- He heard the pips of a radio time-signal as he neared the kitchen.
- (Veterinary Science)the pip(enfermedad infecciosa de las aves de corral)to give somebody the pip (British) [colloquial]sacar de quicio a alguienExample sentences
- Rearing turkeys was no easy job even in small numbers and diseases such as pip and gape took their toll despite good care and attention.
transitive verb present participle pipping past tense, past participle pipped
- (British) [colloquial]to pip somebody/something (
tosomething)the Italian film was just pipped to the prizele arrebataron el premio a la película italianahe was pipped at the (finishing) postle ganaron adelantándosele a pocos pasos de la metaperdió por un pelo [colloquial]Example sentences
- Shearer also picked up the goal of the season award for his volley against Everton and just pipped City's Darren Edmondson to the prize.
- He didn't just pip the previous record, he's beaten it out of sight.
- Brave Ranger 9/4 finished strongly to just pip Sallins Prince for second place by a head.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.