- 1.1 (on dice, domino)Example sentences1.2
(British English) (Military) (on uniform)
- Each domino with 10 pips - - is worth 10 points to the side that wins it in their tricks.
- They include a bizarre grand piano, not only reconstructed by Philip Webb but in addition decorated by Kate Faulkner with playing-card pips, mottoes and whorls of gilt gesso-work.
- In both cases, the players who did not domino score the total of the pips on the tiles left in their hand.
estrella (feminine)Example sentences
- The other man was solidly built, and dressed in a black uniform, two golden pips on each shoulder, and with his hands gloved in a similar black.
- I did not even have time to get out of the door before a man in a white shirt full of shoulder pips and a stern look on his face appeared to warn me off taking action.
- He was in full dress uniform, black with golden pips and a red beret.
noun(British English) (Radio, Telecom)
- wait for the pipsespere a oír la señalExample sentences
- When logging off, the device will emit three short pip sounds to indicate testing has finished.
- We made do with the pips on digital Radio 2, and the engaged burr of mobiles as the servers overflowed.
- He heard the pips of a radio time-signal as he neared the kitchen.
- (Veterinary Science)the pip(enfermedad infecciosa de las aves de corral)to give somebody the pip (British English) [colloquial]sacar de quicio a alguienExample sentences
- Rearing turkeys was no easy job even in small numbers and diseases such as pip and gape took their toll despite good care and attention.
transitive verb -pp-
- (British English) [colloquial]to pip somebody/something (
tosomething)the Italian film was just pipped to the prizele arrebataron el premio a la película italianahe was pipped at the (finishing) postle ganaron adelantándosele a pocos pasos de la meta
perdió por un pelo [colloquial]Example sentences
- Shearer also picked up the goal of the season award for his volley against Everton and just pipped City's Darren Edmondson to the prize.
- He didn't just pip the previous record, he's beaten it out of sight.
- Brave Ranger 9/4 finished strongly to just pip Sallins Prince for second place by a head.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.