- 1 (no plural/sin plural) (cause of regret) lástima (feminine), pena (feminine) it's a pity (
that) es una lástima or una pena que(followed by subjunctive/seguido por subjuntivo) it's a pity you can't go es una lástima or una pena que no puedas ir what a pity you missed it! ¡qué lástima or qué pena que te lo perdieras! more's the pity es una lástima or una pena it's a thousand pities he isn't here to see it ¡qué pena tan grande que él no esté aquí para verlo!More example sentences
- In the end, it's a pity because the situation could have been handled a lot better and without the angst and tears.
- It's such a pity, when perfectly reasonable tinned crab is available in the supermarkets!
- This enforced secrecy is a pity, because Lalonde might have some useful advice to offer his cousin.
- 2 uncountable/no numerable (compassion) piedad (feminine), compasión (feminine) he showed no pity se mostró implacable I don't want your pity no quiero tu compasión or que me compadezcas to take pity on sb/sth apiadarse or compadecerse* de algn/algo to have pity on sb tener* piedad or compasión de algn I felt pity for the poor creature me dio lástima (de) la pobre criatura for pity's sake! ¡por (el) amor de Dios!More example sentences
- He had no pity, no compassion, no understanding of what the victims of war suffered.
- Some said that to heal this rift in the Malay ground, some pity, or compassion, must be shown to Anwar.
- A good number of her early poems attempt to work on the reader's sense of pity and compassion.
Junta Autonómica is the name given to the governments of Spain's autonomous regions, with the exception of Catalonia and Valencia's Generalitat and Galicia's Xunta.
vt (pities, pitying, pitied)
- tenerle* lástima a, compadecer* I pity the poor thing le tengo lástima or la compadezco a la pobre, la pobre me da lástima I think she pitied him more than she loved him creo que más que quererlo le tenía lástima I pity you if he finds out you've broken it pobre de ti como descubra que lo has rotoMore example sentences
- They were pitied, but few shared empathy with their hopes and dreams.
- She is pitying my cynical singledom, and I am worrying about her future.
- Well, when you stop being frightened of someone and then you stop pitying them, there's not really a lot left.