Translation of pity in Spanish:
- 1 (no plural/sin plural) (cause of regret) lástima (feminine), pena (feminine) it's a pity (
that) es una lástima or una pena que(followed by subjunctive/seguido por subjuntivo) it's a pity you can't go es una lástima or una pena que no puedas ir what a pity you missed it! ¡qué lástima or qué pena que te lo perdieras! more's the pity es una lástima or una pena it's a thousand pities he isn't here to see it ¡qué pena tan grande que él no esté aquí para verlo!Example sentences
- In the end, it's a pity because the situation could have been handled a lot better and without the angst and tears.
- It's such a pity, when perfectly reasonable tinned crab is available in the supermarkets!
- This enforced secrecy is a pity, because Lalonde might have some useful advice to offer his cousin.
- 2 uncountable/no numerable (compassion) piedad (feminine), compasión (feminine) he showed no pity se mostró implacable I don't want your pity no quiero tu compasión or que me compadezcas to take pity on sb/sth apiadarse or compadecerse* de algn/algo to have pity on sb tener* piedad or compasión de algn I felt pity for the poor creature me dio lástima (de) la pobre criatura for pity's sake! ¡por (el) amor de Dios!Example sentences
- He had no pity, no compassion, no understanding of what the victims of war suffered.
- Some said that to heal this rift in the Malay ground, some pity, or compassion, must be shown to Anwar.
- A good number of her early poems attempt to work on the reader's sense of pity and compassion.
transitive verb/verbo transitivo (pities, pitying, pitied)
- tenerle* lástima a, compadecer* I pity the poor thing le tengo lástima or la compadezco a la pobre, la pobre me da lástima I think she pitied him more than she loved him creo que más que quererlo le tenía lástima I pity you if he finds out you've broken it pobre de ti como descubra que lo has roto
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
Primaria is the name given in Spain to the first of the two compulsory levels of education. It is for pupils between six and twelve years of age and leads to the