Translation of pity in Spanish:
- 1 (no plural) (cause of regret) it's a pity (
that)es una lástima or una penait's a pity you can't go quefollowed by subjunctivees una lástima or una pena que no puedas irwhat a pity you missed it!¡qué lástima or qué pena que te lo perdieras!more's the pityes una lástima or una penait's a thousand pities he isn't here to see it¡qué pena tan grande que él no esté aquí para verlo!Example sentences
- In the end, it's a pity because the situation could have been handled a lot better and without the angst and tears.
- It's such a pity, when perfectly reasonable tinned crab is available in the supermarkets!
- This enforced secrecy is a pity, because Lalonde might have some useful advice to offer his cousin.
- 2 uncountable (compassion) he showed no pityse mostró implacableI don't want your pityno quiero tu compasión or que me compadezcasto take pity on somebody/somethingapiadarse or compadecerse de alguien/algoto have pity on somebodytener piedad or compasión de alguienI felt pity for the poor creatureme dio lástima (de) la pobre criaturafor pity's sake!¡por (el) amor de Dios!Example sentences
- He had no pity, no compassion, no understanding of what the victims of war suffered.
- Some said that to heal this rift in the Malay ground, some pity, or compassion, must be shown to Anwar.
- A good number of her early poems attempt to work on the reader's sense of pity and compassion.
transitive verb pities, pitying, pitied
- tenerle lástima aI pity the poor thing
compadecerle tengo lástima or la compadezco a la pobreI think she pitied him more than she loved him
la pobre me da lástimacreo que más que quererlo le tenía lástimaI pity you if he finds out you've broken itpobre de ti como descubra que lo has rotoExample sentences
- They were pitied, but few shared empathy with their hopes and dreams.
- She is pitying my cynical singledom, and I am worrying about her future.
- Well, when you stop being frightened of someone and then you stop pitying them, there's not really a lot left.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.