Translation of place in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 countable (spot, position, area) the best place for that is …el lugar or el sitio más indicado para eso es …we've come to the wrong placenos hemos equivocado de lugar or de sitiodo you think this is the right place?¿te parece que es aquí?she was in the right place at the right time and got the jobtuvo la suerte de estar allí en el momento oportuno y le dieron el trabajothis is the place where I left itfue aquí donde lo dejédo you have a place to stay?¿tienes donde quedarte?the road is poor in placesalgunos tramos or algunas partes de la carretera están en mal estadowhat a stupid place to leave the money!¡a quién se le ocurre dejar el dinero allí!I can't be in two places at onceno puedo estar en dos sitios or en dos partes al mismo tiempothere's no place like homeno hay nada como estar en casaall over the placepor todas partesI've looked all over the place
por todos ladoshe buscado por todas partes or por todos ladosher ideas are all over the placesus ideas son un desbarajuste or un caos totalthey were all over the place in the scherzoen el scherzo cada uno iba por su ladoExample sentences
Example sentences1.2 countable (town, region, country) from place to place
- Residents say the area was once a peaceful place to live, but has been ruined by unruly youths.
- Most nodded approvingly, for this region has a big place in the hearts of many Azeris.
- Aberdeen, as a city and as a club, still have a big place in my heart.
de un lugar or un sitio or un lado a otroto go placesthis boy will go placeseste chico va a llegar lejosa new rock group that's really going placesun nuevo grupo de rock que viene pisando fuertewe like to go places, not just lie on the beachnos gusta visitar distintos lugares, no simplemente estar tumbados en la playaExample sentences1.3 countable (specific location) place of birth
- The surface had failed in places, and this had allowed grass and weeds to come through.
- A lot of heavy lorries use this road, and the surface is terrible in places.
- Even now, although this land is being developed in places in the village, there are still vast areas left undeveloped.
lugar de nacimientoplace of worshiplugar de culto1.4 uncountable (locality) time and placetiempo y lugar
- Foots Cray Place was the home of the one-time Chancellor of the Exchequer, Nicholas Vansittart, Lord Bexley.
- Grove Place was the home of John de la Grave in 1296.
- 2 countable 2.1 (building, shop, restaurant etc) it's not the sort of place you'd take your maiden auntno es el tipo de sitio or de lugar adonde uno llevaría a una tía solteronaBas Bleus is still the place in New OrleansBas Bleus aún es el sitio de moda en Nueva Orleansthe hotel was a depressing placeel hotel era deprimentethey've moved to a bigger placese han mudado a un local ( or a una casa) más grandethere's a good hamburger/pizza place nearbyhay una buena hamburguesería/pizzería cercaExample sentences2.2 (home) this is a palace compared to my place
comparado con mi casa, esto es un palaciowe went back to Jim's placedespués fuimos a (la) casa de Jim or (Latin America tb) fuimos donde Jim or (River Plate area) a lo de JimExample sentences
- What we have now is a splendid modern building, a place of worship and a resource centre for the whole community.
- They applied for Planning permission to use the building as a place of worship and I went to the public meeting.
- There are huge pedestrian walk ways and squares with theatres, museums and places to eat and drink.
- I'm still nursing my head after a heavy night at my place with dinner guests.
- Now he is staying with friends, until his place is habitable once again.
- It turned out the man had several places in the big city, which surprised her quite a bit.
- 3 countable 3.1 (correct, appropriate location) put them all back in their (proper) placesponlos todos en su sitio or lugarthis is no place for a dogeste no es un lugar apropiado para tener un perrothere's a time and (a) place for everythingtodo a su debido tiempo y en su debido lugara place for everything (and everything in its place) to fall into placeaclararsethings were beginning to fall into placelas cosas estaban empezando a aclararseExample sentences3.2 (in phrases) in placethe window frames are in place
ya han colocado los marcos de las ventanaswhen the new accounting system is in placecuando se haya implementado el nuevo sistema de contabilidadthe new manager is not yet in placeel nuevo director aún no ha entrado en funciones or no ha asumido el cargoto hold something in placesujetar algoout of placedespite the wind she arrived with not a hair out of placea pesar del viento llegó impecablemodern furniture would look out of place in this roomquedaría mal or no resultaría apropiado poner muebles modernos en esta habitacióna small tip would not be out of placeuna pequeña propina no estaría fuera de lugarI felt very out of place thereme sentí totalmente fuera de lugar allí
- In comes a calm, regionally balanced economy with the housing market in its proper place.
- The cold, round meal tray is impassively in front, with two bowls and two pairs of chopsticks placed in their proper places.
- Even if such indicators are present, they are not placed at the proper places.
- 4 countable 4.1 (position, role) she's back in her rightful place as party leadervuelve a ocupar el lugar que le corresponde como líder del partidohe will always have a special place in our heartssiempre ocupará un lugar especial en nuestros corazonesyour place is helping out on the farmtú donde debes estar es en la granja, ayudandowhat would you do in my place?¿tú qué harías si estuvieras en mi lugar?if I were in your placeyo en tu lugarput yourself in my place it's not my place to interfere
yo que túyo no soy quién para metermeI feel it is my place to advise youconsidero mi obligación aconsejartethe prince and his servant changed placesel príncipe y el criado se cambiaron los papelesI wouldn't change places with her for anythingno me cambiaría por ella por nadathere is no place for authoritarianism in a democratic societyen una sociedad democrática no cabe el autoritarismonobody can ever take your placenadie podrá jamás ocupar tu lugar or reemplazartea place in the sununa posición destacadato know one's place (dated or humorous)saber el lugar que le corresponde a unoI know my place, madamyo sé el lugar que me corresponde, señorato put somebody in her/his placeponer a alguien en su sitio
bajarle los humos a alguienExample sentences4.2in place of (as preposition) Mike's coming in Arthur's place
va a venir Mike en lugar de Arthur4.3to take place (occur) (meeting/concert/wedding) the ceremony took place last Fridayla ceremonia tuvo lugar el viernes pasadowe don't know what took place that nightno sabemos qué ocurrió or qué sucedió aquella noche
- All three have their important place in the law of torts, but the liability attached to them will differ.
- Does the independent press have an important place in literary life or is it little more than vanity publishing?
- I think flood irrigation is going to have an important place here for a long time.
- 5 countable 5.1 (seat) save me a place next to youguárdame un asiento or un sitio al lado del tuyothe conference hall has places for 500 peoplela sala de conferencias tiene capacidad or cabida para 500 personaschange places with Jancámbiale el asiento a Jantake your places, ladies and gentlemenocupen sus asientos, señoras y señores5.2 (at table) to lay/set a place for somebodyponer un cubierto para alguienExample sentences
- Forty places for cars are available in the underground car park under the supermarket.
- So they said they would tell me when a place became available for me to sit until a table became available.
- He had saved a place for him in the middle of the table and was guarding it diligently.
- 6 countable 6.1 (in contest, league) he took first/second placeobtuvo el primer/segundo puesto or lugarto hold one's placemantener or conservar su ( or mi etc) posiciónto take second placepasar a un segundo planoyour social life will have to take second placetu vida social va a tener que pasar a un segundo planoExample sentences6.2 (in horseracing)
(uno de los tres primeros puestos en las carreras de caballos)Example sentences
- He dropped more than 50 Order of Merit places to 74th and managed only one top-ten finish.
- He used the image of a guest at a banquet who chooses the lowest place in order to be seen being elevated to a higher one.
- Inevitably, the victory earned him the order of merit title, swapping places with Bradley who had captured it last year.
- He has an impressive National record, with two second places, a third and a fourth but has yet to capture the big prize itself.
- In qualifying we clinched the pole position, and in the race, second and third places.
- Pole position and a second place in the race made a great weekend for him and for the whole team.
- 7 countable (in book, script, sequence) you've made me lose my placeme has hecho perder la página ( or la línea etc) por donde ibathe audience laughed in all the right placesel público se rió cuando había que reírse
- 8 countable 8.1 (job) we have places for 20 workerstenemos 20 puestos de trabajo or 20 vacantesto fill a placecubrir una vacanteto have friends in high placestener amigos influyentesExample sentences8.2 (British English) (School, University) a school/university place
una plaza en un colegio/en la Universidad8.3 (on team)
- She has been offered a place to study politics and modern history at Oxford.
- Around the time of my diagnosis I had also been offered a place to study for an MPhil in philosophy.
- Seven sixth form students from Bootham School in York have been offered places to study at Cambridge or Oxford universities.
- 9 (in argument) in the first/second placeen primer/segundo lugaryou shouldn't have been there in the first place!en primer lugar or para empezar tú no deberías haber estado allí
- 1 (put, position)(object)
poner(carefully, precisely) colocarshe placed the book in his handle puso el libro en la manoI'm very badly placed here to see what is happeningestoy en muy mal sitio or (Latin America tb) estoy muy mal ubicado para ver lo que está pasandohow are they placed as regards finance?¿cuál es su situación a nivel financiero?I'm rather badly placed for time at presenten este momento no dispongo de mucho tiempothis places them at a disadvantageesto los coloca en una situación de desventajawe were placed in an awkward positionnos pusieron en una situación muy violentathis places you under an obligationesto te obliga or te comprometeto place somebody in custodyponer a alguien bajo custodiahe's been placed under observation she's been placed under house arrestestá bajo arresto domiciliarioto place one's confidence o trust in somebody/somethingdepositar su ( or mi etc) confianza en alguien/algoI don't place much faith in the medical professionno tengo mucha fe en los médicoshe placed the blame on the lawyer in charge of the caseresponsabilizó or le echó la culpa al abogado que llevaba el casoher promotion placed a great strain on their relationshipsu ascenso provocó muchas tensiones en su relaciónhe places a high value on originalityconcede gran importancia a la originalidadI placed the matter in the hands of my lawyer
valora mucho la originalidadpuse el asunto en manos de mi abogadosee also→ well-placedExample sentences
- Yesterday the memorial was roped off, and a wreath had been placed beside it.
- I crossed my legs and placed myself beside him on the bed, the mattress sinking a little under weight.
- The Queen gestured to a tray that had been placed beside the bed filled with all sorts of food.
- He was best placed to take advantage and went on to win from Charlie with McAlpin third.
- He, with his rugged good looks and background, was ideally placed to take advantage of this trend.
- He thinks that Britain is uniquely placed to exploit the advantages of its genetic diversity.
- 2 2.1 (in hierarchy, league, race) I wouldn't place money that high on the list of prioritiespara mí el dinero no ocupa un lugar tan prioritarionational security should be placed above everything elsela seguridad nacional debería ponerse por encima de todothis victory places her among the top threeeste triunfo la sitúa entre las tres primerasthe team is currently placed fourthactualmente el equipo ocupa el cuarto puesto or lugar2.2 (in horseracing) to be placedllegar placé or colocado (en segundo o tercer lugar)
- 3 3.1 (find a home, job for) they placed her with a Boston firmla colocaron or le encontraron trabajo en una empresa de BostonExample sentences3.2
- The family made the decision not to contact police until she gave birth to a baby girl, who was immediately placed with foster parents.
- He was taken into care before being placed with foster parents.
- In the same vein, the entity charged with placing redundant workers into employment, has not improved.
colocar(Finance)we placed an order with Acme Corp
colocarhicimos un pedido a Acme CorpExample sentences
- In effect, this means that if there is any difficulty in placing the shares, he and his associates will put up the money.
- "The controlling shareholder is placing the shares before the deal is completed, " he said.
- It also plans to raise €8 million by placing over 53 million shares, which he has committed to buy if no new investors emerge.
- This time at a lower register which is both more commanding and better suited to an auditory range ruined by years placing bets at the dog track at Concreton.
- If an offer, will CostPlus be in breach of contract in attempting to increase the price after Philip has placed an order?
- Check with the manufacturer for the exact amount when placing your order.
- A precedent has been set that thuggish bigots can dictate who plays in a football match by placing one threatening telephone call to the BBC.
- The Upper Arlington Fire Division placed a call for a NAS-T Fire Investigation response.
- Sometimes people living in the same city prefer to keep in touch with each other through e-mail or text-messaging rather then meeting in person or placing a phone call.
- 4 4.1 (identify) her face is familiar, but I can't quite place hersu cara me resulta conocida pero no sé de dónde or (Latin America tb) pero no la ubicoExample sentences4.2 (locate, estimate) I would place the time of death at around eleven o'clock
estimo que su muerte se produjo alrededor de las oncethat would place (the date of) his arrival in Venice much further backeso indicaría que su llegada a Venecia fue muy anterior
- Listeners are invited to take part in an audio game in which they must identify and place the sounds they hear.
- His words that morning had placed him in her mind, and she prayed for his safety as the wall began to crumble.
- Still, I couldn't place her but even her clothing, a worn leather jacket and a red knit scarf, had a certain familiarity.
- 5 (direct carefully)(ball/shot)
- (Sport)to place fourth/ninthquedar en cuarto/noveno lugarhis horse didn't even placesu caballo no llegó ni placé or colocadoExample sentences
- He has won four of 13 starts, placing in seven other races, and has earned $190,190.
- A top-class swimmer and cross-country runner as a junior, she won the London Triathlon in 2001 and is now placing consistently well in World Cup events.
- Though her piece wasn't chosen as the cover, she said placing among the finalists inspired her to explore her talent.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.