Translation of place in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 countable (spot, position, area) the best place for that is …we've come to the wrong placeel lugar or el sitio más indicado para eso es …do you think this is the right place?nos hemos equivocado de lugar or de sitioshe was in the right place at the right time and got the job¿te parece que es aquí?this is the place where I left ittuvo la suerte de estar allí en el momento oportuno y le dieron el trabajodo you have a place to stay?fue aquí donde lo dejéthe road is poor in places¿tienes donde quedarte?what a stupid place to leave the money!algunos tramos or algunas partes de la carretera están en mal estadoI can't be in two places at once¡a quién se le ocurre dejar el dinero allí!there's no place like homeno puedo estar en dos sitios or en dos partes al mismo tiempoall over the placeno hay nada como estar en casaI've looked all over the placepor todas partespor todos ladosher ideas are all over the placehe buscado por todas partes or por todos ladosthey were all over the place in the scherzosus ideas son un desbarajuste or un caos total1.2 countable (town, region, country) from place to placeen el scherzo cada uno iba por su ladoto go placesthis boy will go placesde un lugar or un sitio or un lado a otroa new rock group that's really going placeseste chico va a llegar lejoswe like to go places, not just lie on the beachun nuevo grupo de rock que viene pisando fuertenos gusta visitar distintos lugares, no simplemente estar tumbados en la playaExample sentences1.3 countable (specific location) place of birth
place of worshiplugar de nacimiento1.4 uncountable (locality) time and placelugar de cultotiempo y lugar
- Foots Cray Place was the home of the one-time Chancellor of the Exchequer, Nicholas Vansittart, Lord Bexley.
- Grove Place was the home of John de la Grave in 1296.
- 2 countable 2.1 (building, shop, restaurant etc) it's not the sort of place you'd take your maiden auntBas Bleus is still the place in New Orleansno es el tipo de sitio or de lugar adonde uno llevaría a una tía solteronathe hotel was a depressing placeBas Bleus aún es el sitio de moda en Nueva Orleansthey've moved to a bigger placeel hotel era deprimentethere's a good hamburger/pizza place nearbyse han mudado a un local ( or a una casa) más grande2.2 (home) this is a palace compared to my placehay una buena hamburguesería/pizzería cercawe went back to Jim's placecomparado con mi casa, esto es un palaciodespués fuimos a (la) casa de Jim or (in Latin America also) fuimos donde Jim or (River Plate area) a lo de JimExample sentences
- What we have now is a splendid modern building, a place of worship and a resource centre for the whole community.
- They applied for Planning permission to use the building as a place of worship and I went to the public meeting.
- There are huge pedestrian walk ways and squares with theatres, museums and places to eat and drink.
- 3 countable 3.1 (correct, appropriate location) put them all back in their (proper) placesthis is no place for a dogponlos todos en su sitio or lugarthere's a time and (a) place for everythingeste no es un lugar apropiado para tener un perroa place for everything (and everything in its place) to fall into placetodo a su debido tiempo y en su debido lugarthings were beginning to fall into placeaclararse3.2 (in phrases) in placethe window frames are in placelas cosas estaban empezando a aclararsewhen the new accounting system is in placeya han colocado los marcos de las ventanasthe new manager is not yet in placecuando se haya implementado el nuevo sistema de contabilidadto hold something in placeel nuevo director aún no ha entrado en funciones or no ha asumido el cargoout of placedespite the wind she arrived with not a hair out of placesujetar algomodern furniture would look out of place in this rooma pesar del viento llegó impecablea small tip would not be out of placequedaría mal or no resultaría apropiado poner muebles modernos en esta habitaciónI felt very out of place thereuna pequeña propina no estaría fuera de lugarme sentí totalmente fuera de lugar allíExample sentences
- In comes a calm, regionally balanced economy with the housing market in its proper place.
- The cold, round meal tray is impassively in front, with two bowls and two pairs of chopsticks placed in their proper places.
- Even if such indicators are present, they are not placed at the proper places.
- 4 countable 4.1 (position, role) she's back in her rightful place as party leaderhe will always have a special place in our heartsvuelve a ocupar el lugar que le corresponde como líder del partidoyour place is helping out on the farmsiempre ocupará un lugar especial en nuestros corazoneswhat would you do in my place?tú donde debes estar es en la granja, ayudandoif I were in your place¿tú qué harías si estuvieras en mi lugar?put yourself in my place it's not my place to interfereyo en tu lugaryo que túI feel it is my place to advise youyo no soy quién para metermethe prince and his servant changed placesconsidero mi obligación aconsejarteI wouldn't change places with her for anythingel príncipe y el criado se cambiaron los papelesthere is no place for authoritarianism in a democratic societyno me cambiaría por ella por nadanobody can ever take your placeen una sociedad democrática no cabe el autoritarismoa place in the sunnadie podrá jamás ocupar tu lugar or reemplazarteto know one's place [dated or hum]una posición destacadaI know my place, madamsaber el lugar que le corresponde a unoto put somebody in her/his placeyo sé el lugar que me corresponde, señora4.2in place of (as preposition) Mike's coming in Arthur's placeponer a alguien en su sitiobajarle los humos a alguien4.3to take place (occur) (meeting/concert/wedding) the ceremony took place last Fridayva a venir Mike en lugar de Arthurwe don't know what took place that nightla ceremonia tuvo lugar el viernes pasadono sabemos qué ocurrió or qué sucedió aquella nocheExample sentences
- The surface had failed in places, and this had allowed grass and weeds to come through.
- A lot of heavy lorries use this road, and the surface is terrible in places.
- Even now, although this land is being developed in places in the village, there are still vast areas left undeveloped.
- All three have their important place in the law of torts, but the liability attached to them will differ.
- Does the independent press have an important place in literary life or is it little more than vanity publishing?
- I think flood irrigation is going to have an important place here for a long time.
- 5 countable 5.1 (seat) See examples: save me a place next to youthe conference hall has places for 500 peopleguárdame un asiento or un sitio al lado del tuyochange places with Janla sala de conferencias tiene capacidad or cabida para 500 personastake your places, ladies and gentlemencámbiale el asiento a Jan5.2 (at table) to lay/set a place for somebodyocupen sus asientos, señoras y señoresponer un cubierto para alguienExample sentences
- Forty places for cars are available in the underground car park under the supermarket.
- So they said they would tell me when a place became available for me to sit until a table became available.
- He had saved a place for him in the middle of the table and was guarding it diligently.
- 6 countable 6.1 (in contest, league) he took first/second placeto hold one's placeobtuvo el primer/segundo puesto or lugarto take second placemantener or conservar su ( or mi etc) posiciónyour social life will have to take second placepasar a un segundo plano6.2 (in horseracing)tu vida social va a tener que pasar a un segundo plano(uno de los tres primeros puestos en las carreras de caballos)Example sentences
- He has an impressive National record, with two second places, a third and a fourth but has yet to capture the big prize itself.
- In qualifying we clinched the pole position, and in the race, second and third places.
- Pole position and a second place in the race made a great weekend for him and for the whole team.
- 7 countable (in book, script, sequence) See examples: you've made me lose my placethe audience laughed in all the right placesme has hecho perder la página ( or la línea etc) por donde ibael público se rió cuando había que reírse
- 8 countable 8.1 (job) we have places for 20 workersto fill a placetenemos 20 puestos de trabajo or 20 vacantesto have friends in high placescubrir una vacante8.2tener amigos influyentes(British English) (Sch, Univ)a school/university placeuna plaza en un colegio/en la UniversidadExample sentences8.3 (on team)
- She has been offered a place to study politics and modern history at Oxford.
- Around the time of my diagnosis I had also been offered a place to study for an MPhil in philosophy.
- Seven sixth form students from Bootham School in York have been offered places to study at Cambridge or Oxford universities.
- 9 (in argument) in the first/second placeyou shouldn't have been there in the first place!en primer/segundo lugaren primer lugar or para empezar tú no deberías haber estado allí
- 10 countable (Mathematics)correct to three decimal placescorrecto hasta tres decimalesExample sentences
- He dropped more than 50 Order of Merit places to 74th and managed only one top-ten finish.
- He used the image of a guest at a banquet who chooses the lowest place in order to be seen being elevated to a higher one.
- Inevitably, the victory earned him the order of merit title, swapping places with Bradley who had captured it last year.
- 11 countable or uncountable (space, room) is there (a) place for one more suitcase?to give place to something¿hay sitio or lugar para otra maleta?¿cabe otra maleta?dar paso a algoExample sentences
- Residents say the area was once a peaceful place to live, but has been ruined by unruly youths.
- Most nodded approvingly, for this region has a big place in the hearts of many Azeris.
- Aberdeen, as a city and as a club, still have a big place in my heart.
- I'm still nursing my head after a heavy night at my place with dinner guests.
- Now he is staying with friends, until his place is habitable once again.
- It turned out the man had several places in the big city, which surprised her quite a bit.
- 1 (put, position)(object)(carefully, precisely)she placed the book in his handI'm very badly placed here to see what is happeningle puso el libro en la manohow are they placed as regards finance?estoy en muy mal sitio or (in Latin America also) estoy muy mal ubicado para ver lo que está pasandoI'm rather badly placed for time at present¿cuál es su situación a nivel financiero?this places them at a disadvantageen este momento no dispongo de mucho tiempowe were placed in an awkward positionesto los coloca en una situación de desventajathis places you under an obligationnos pusieron en una situación muy violentato place somebody in custodyesto te obliga or te comprometehe's been placed under observation she's been placed under house arrestponer a alguien bajo custodiato place one's confidence o trust in somebody/somethingestá bajo arresto domiciliarioI don't place much faith in the medical professiondepositar su ( or mi etc) confianza en alguien/algohe placed the blame on the lawyer in charge of the caseno tengo mucha fe en los médicosher promotion placed a great strain on their relationshipresponsabilizó or le echó la culpa al abogado que llevaba el casohe places a high value on originalitysu ascenso provocó muchas tensiones en su relaciónI placed the matter in the hands of my lawyerconcede gran importancia a la originalidadvalora mucho la originalidadsee also → well-placedpuse el asunto en manos de mi abogadoExample sentences
- Yesterday the memorial was roped off, and a wreath had been placed beside it.
- I crossed my legs and placed myself beside him on the bed, the mattress sinking a little under weight.
- The Queen gestured to a tray that had been placed beside the bed filled with all sorts of food.
- He was best placed to take advantage and went on to win from Charlie with McAlpin third.
- He, with his rugged good looks and background, was ideally placed to take advantage of this trend.
- He thinks that Britain is uniquely placed to exploit the advantages of its genetic diversity.
- 2 2.1 (in hierarchy, league, race) See examples: I wouldn't place money that high on the list of prioritiesnational security should be placed above everything elsepara mí el dinero no ocupa un lugar tan prioritariothis victory places her among the top threela seguridad nacional debería ponerse por encima de todothe team is currently placed fourtheste triunfo la sitúa entre las tres primeras2.2 (in horseracing) See examples: to be placedactualmente el equipo ocupa el cuarto puesto or lugarllegar placé or colocado(en segundo o tercer lugar)
- 3 3.1 (find a home, job for) they placed her with a Boston firm3.2la colocaron or le encontraron trabajo en una empresa de Boston(advertisement)(phone call)(goods/merchandise)(shares/money)(Finance)we placed an order with Acme Corphicimos un pedido a Acme CorpExample sentences
- In effect, this means that if there is any difficulty in placing the shares, he and his associates will put up the money.
- "The controlling shareholder is placing the shares before the deal is completed, " he said.
- It also plans to raise €8 million by placing over 53 million shares, which he has committed to buy if no new investors emerge.
- This time at a lower register which is both more commanding and better suited to an auditory range ruined by years placing bets at the dog track at Concreton.
- If an offer, will CostPlus be in breach of contract in attempting to increase the price after Philip has placed an order?
- Check with the manufacturer for the exact amount when placing your order.
- A precedent has been set that thuggish bigots can dictate who plays in a football match by placing one threatening telephone call to the BBC.
- The Upper Arlington Fire Division placed a call for a NAS-T Fire Investigation response.
- Sometimes people living in the same city prefer to keep in touch with each other through e-mail or text-messaging rather then meeting in person or placing a phone call.
- The family made the decision not to contact police until she gave birth to a baby girl, who was immediately placed with foster parents.
- He was taken into care before being placed with foster parents.
- In the same vein, the entity charged with placing redundant workers into employment, has not improved.
- 4 4.1 (identify) her face is familiar, but I can't quite place her4.2 (locate, estimate) See examples: I would place the time of death at around eleven o'clocksu cara me resulta conocida pero no sé de dónde or (in Latin America also) pero no la ubicothat would place (the date of) his arrival in Venice much further backestimo que su muerte se produjo alrededor de las onceeso indicaría que su llegada a Venecia fue muy anteriorExample sentences
- Listeners are invited to take part in an audio game in which they must identify and place the sounds they hear.
- His words that morning had placed him in her mind, and she prayed for his safety as the wall began to crumble.
- Still, I couldn't place her but even her clothing, a worn leather jacket and a red knit scarf, had a certain familiarity.
- (Sport)to place fourth/ninthhis horse didn't even placequedar en cuarto/noveno lugarsu caballo no llegó ni placé or colocadoExample sentences
- He has won four of 13 starts, placing in seven other races, and has earned $190,190.
- A top-class swimmer and cross-country runner as a junior, she won the London Triathlon in 2001 and is now placing consistently well in World Cup events.
- Though her piece wasn't chosen as the cover, she said placing among the finalists inspired her to explore her talent.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
In Spain, a geographical, social, and culturally homogeneous region, with a clear natural or administrative demarcation is called a comarca. Comarcas are normally smaller than