- 1 (surface)Example sentences
- When the strike-off operation is performed well, the surface plane of the concrete is flat with few ups and downs to be corrected with a bull float.
- Second, for the kinetic behavior, we have assumed that the diffusion in the plane of the surface is much faster than the motion perpendicular to it.
- To add a greater degree of difficulty, the students also had to break the plane of the surface on which they were working.
- 2 (level) she is on a different planeestá a otro nivel
es de otra categoríaExample sentences
- It is as if she has already passed into a higher plane of existence and is recalling mortal limitations from the other side, as it were.
- Jack had a little posse made up of rich kids who thought being rich placed you on a higher plane of existence than the rest of the world.
- By then, the crowd had migrated into a higher plane of metal-rock-consciousness.
- (Art, Building, Mathematics) plane geometrygeometría (feminine) planaExample sentences
- Each speaker was on a plane level with the listener's head and approximately 10 inches from the wall.
- I accomplished this by placing against the objective a piece of glass which was plane on one side and curved on the other, so as to be a portion of a cylinder of large diameter.
- There comes a point, alas, when a baby bird, trying its wings, finds it has planed down off the roof, and can't get back up again.
- No life stirred except where, against the sky, buzzards planed and glided on motionless wings.
- He stood in a slight crouch amidships, his knees bent just enough so that he could maintain balance as the boat planed along the waters, the hull bouncing and slapping down the waves passing underneath the bow.
- Once the vessel started planing with a lower freeboard aft the fender would be low enough to bounce on the sea surface.
- Even a slightly dirty bottom can keep your boat from planing or, on a displacement hull, can slow it down dramatically.
- (aircraft) we went by planefuimos en avión(before noun) (ticket)
de aviónExample sentences
- The plane crashed on the helicopter landing pad adjacent to the Pentagon.
- Fighters, transport planes, bombers and helicopters will fill the skies over RAF Fairford in the run-up to the air show this weekend.
- The same flight control radar systems are used in helicopters, low-flying private planes, light aircraft and stealth bombers.
- (travel by plane) (US) [colloquial]ir en aviónExample sentences
- An internal passenger flight had crashed on take-off from Washington: coughing a few feet off the ground before planing through a crowded commuter bridge and plunging into the frozen river beyond.
- I planed down by Gulf Air's cheap service (called Gulf Traveller) and it was absolutely atrocious.
- (tool)cepillo (masculine) de carpintero(longer) garlopa (feminine)Example sentences
- My primary tool interest is as a collector, especially of wooden planes by different makers.
- Carpenters had mallets, hammers, drills, chisels, scrapers, planes, and copper saws at their disposal.
- An interesting handled smooth plane surfaced at a local flea market this past summer.
- (make smooth)(wood/surface)to plane something down
cepillardesbastar algoExample sentences
- If the face frame projects beyond the side of the cabinet, plane the wood until it is flush.
- Or you may have to shave a hair off a miter or plane the back edge of a cut to make a tight joint.
- Any areas of the wood that show cupping or crowning will need to be planed by using a jointer or table saw as demonstrated in the videotape.
- plane (tree)Example sentences
- The focal point of the park is the now defunct fountain, surrounded by conifers, oaks, planes, jacarandas, and tipiana trees dropping their yellow blossoms.
- Emei's flora is renowned; sub-tropical ferns and strands of bamboo huddle amidst plane and fir trees.
- No songbirds to tangle in the hedges, in shrubs, up above your head in the crowns of cypress and in the branches of chestnut trees, plane trees.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.