Translation of plate in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 countable/numerable (dish) plato (masculine) he ate a whole plate of rice se comió un plato entero de arroz dinner at $100 a plate cena a 100 dólares el cubierto to hand o give sth to sb on a plate servirle* algo a algn en bandeja to have a lot/too much on one's plate tener* muchas/demasiadas cosas entre manos as if I didn't have enough on my plate como si no tuviera bastantes problemas plate warmer calientaplatos (masculine) 1.2 countable/numerable [Religion/Religión](collection plate)platillo (masculine), bandeja (feminine) ([ de las limosnas ])(Communion plate)patena (feminine)Example sentences1.3 countable/numerable (prize) trofeo (masculine)
Example sentences1.4 uncountable/no numerable (dishes) vajilla (feminine) ([ de plata u oro ]) 1.5 countable/numerable (on cooker) plato (masculine)
- The Hon Rev F J Nile and The Hon G Moyes refrained from passing round the plate for tithes.
- Congregations in two Yorkshire dioceses have turned out to be among the most generous in the country when it comes to putting money on the plate at Anglican churches.
- At the same time bible-based cults may ridicule churches that take up free-will offerings by passing collection plates and/or sell literature and tapes.
- Hounslow's Rhenu Khuttan won the girls badminton plate competition and Sandeep Gupta was narrowly defeated in the boys quarter-finals.
- His victory in the most recent plate race is a sterling example.
- Naas now go forward to play in the plate competition, the final of which they reached two seasons ago with this team, narrowly losing on that occasion to Skerries.
- 2 2.1 countable/numerable (of metal) chapa (feminine), placa (feminine); (thin) lámina (feminine); (of glass) placa (feminine) 2.2 uncountable/no numerable (coating) enchapado (masculine)Example sentences2.3 countable/numerable [Geology/Geología] placa (feminine)
- They could melt down the coins and convert the monetary metals into jewelry and plate, or have them exported along with new gold and silver from the mines.
- To his granddaughter Elizabeth Hall, all his plate except the bowl left to Judith.
- On the Wednesday afternoon an extended section of plate, silver and jewellery was offered including quite a number of trade entries.
- A pile of rugs and blankets lay within, pillar candles perched all about, set on dinner plates from the china closet.
- Empty plates are warmed before food is served, which is a nice touch.
- Make sure you hear that little pop in the bottle when you open it, and also to serve the baby food onto a plate rather than just serving it straight out of the bottle.
- Cells were seeded onto six-well culture plates and allowed to grow to form confluent monolayers.
- The microscope first focuses on an internal reference point within the tissue culture plate containing the cells.
- The tested yeast cultures were grown on plates with complete medium for 1 day.
- Properties of wrought products depend to some extent on the quality of the ingot from which they were made, especially thick plates or strip made from thin castings.
- Damping is incorporated in the rear line of columns in the form of sheets of visco-elastic material clamped between steel plates.
- Tap shoes have thin metal plates, usually made of aluminium, screwed onto the sole and heel, allowing dancers to create percussive effects as they move.
- 3 countable/numerable 3.1 [Photography/Fotografía] placa (feminine) 3.2 [Art/Arte] [Printing/Imprenta] plancha (feminine)Example sentences3.3 (illustration) ilustración (feminine), lámina (feminine)
- The bank engraves banknote images into metal plates by hand and uses special inks and watermarks to prevent forgery.
- Grice traced the final illustrations onto metal plates and placed them in a heat vacuum machine to create multiple copies of molded plastic pages.
- But left and right are reversed in an etching, which is made by scratching lines on a metal plate and using the plate to make a print.
- Build a theme around the picture or print on the plates and paper goods.
- After the lead-in, the rest of the book consists of colour plates with extended captions that are as interesting as the photographs themselves.
- The books contain 606 plates illustrating 92 percent of the 1189 taxa in the keys.
- 4 countable/numerable 4.1 [Cars/Automovilismo] (license o (British English/inglés británico) number) plate matrícula (feminine), placa (feminine) de matrícula, patente (feminine) (Southern Cone/Cono Sur) , chapa (feminine) (River Plate area/Río de la Plata) 4.2 (plaque) placa (feminine)Example sentences
- It is a brass plate inscribed with the name of a passenger on the ship, Colonel Edward James.
- I also had my own stall now with a brass plate on the stall door with my name.
- Engraved on a metal plate next to the door was the name Entertainment Room.
- By December 1, 2005, all trucks and trailers of more than 10 tons must also have new plates and registration documents.
- It is thought another motorist has cloned the plate to try to escape the £5-a-day congestion charge.
- You can only have a plate which is the same age as or older than the car.
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Did you know that Antena 3 was Spain's first private television channel? It began broadcasting in 1989. Its proprietors include the conservative newspapers La Vanguardia and ABC.