Translation of plate in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 countable/numerable (dish) plato (masculine) he ate a whole plate of rice se comió un plato entero de arroz dinner at $100 a plate cena a 100 dólares el cubierto to hand o give sth to sb on a plate servirle* algo a algn en bandeja to have a lot/too much on one's plate tener* muchas/demasiadas cosas entre manos as if I didn't have enough on my plate como si no tuviera bastantes problemas plate warmer calientaplatos (masculine) 1.2 countable/numerable [Religion/Religión](collection plate)platillo (masculine), bandeja (feminine) ([ de las limosnas ])(Communion plate)patena (feminine)Example sentences1.3 countable/numerable (prize) trofeo (masculine)
Example sentences1.4 uncountable/no numerable (dishes) vajilla (feminine) ([ de plata u oro ]) 1.5 countable/numerable (on cooker) plato (masculine)
- The Hon Rev F J Nile and The Hon G Moyes refrained from passing round the plate for tithes.
- Congregations in two Yorkshire dioceses have turned out to be among the most generous in the country when it comes to putting money on the plate at Anglican churches.
- At the same time bible-based cults may ridicule churches that take up free-will offerings by passing collection plates and/or sell literature and tapes.
- Hounslow's Rhenu Khuttan won the girls badminton plate competition and Sandeep Gupta was narrowly defeated in the boys quarter-finals.
- His victory in the most recent plate race is a sterling example.
- Naas now go forward to play in the plate competition, the final of which they reached two seasons ago with this team, narrowly losing on that occasion to Skerries.
- 2 2.1 countable/numerable (of metal) chapa (feminine), placa (feminine); (thin) lámina (feminine); (of glass) placa (feminine) 2.2 uncountable/no numerable (coating) enchapado (masculine)Example sentences2.3 countable/numerable [Geology/Geología] placa (feminine)
- They could melt down the coins and convert the monetary metals into jewelry and plate, or have them exported along with new gold and silver from the mines.
- To his granddaughter Elizabeth Hall, all his plate except the bowl left to Judith.
- On the Wednesday afternoon an extended section of plate, silver and jewellery was offered including quite a number of trade entries.
- A pile of rugs and blankets lay within, pillar candles perched all about, set on dinner plates from the china closet.
- Empty plates are warmed before food is served, which is a nice touch.
- Make sure you hear that little pop in the bottle when you open it, and also to serve the baby food onto a plate rather than just serving it straight out of the bottle.
- Cells were seeded onto six-well culture plates and allowed to grow to form confluent monolayers.
- The microscope first focuses on an internal reference point within the tissue culture plate containing the cells.
- The tested yeast cultures were grown on plates with complete medium for 1 day.
- Properties of wrought products depend to some extent on the quality of the ingot from which they were made, especially thick plates or strip made from thin castings.
- Damping is incorporated in the rear line of columns in the form of sheets of visco-elastic material clamped between steel plates.
- Tap shoes have thin metal plates, usually made of aluminium, screwed onto the sole and heel, allowing dancers to create percussive effects as they move.
- 3 countable/numerable 3.1 [Photography/Fotografía] placa (feminine) 3.2 [Art/Arte] [Printing/Imprenta] plancha (feminine)Example sentences3.3 (illustration) ilustración (feminine), lámina (feminine)
- The bank engraves banknote images into metal plates by hand and uses special inks and watermarks to prevent forgery.
- Grice traced the final illustrations onto metal plates and placed them in a heat vacuum machine to create multiple copies of molded plastic pages.
- But left and right are reversed in an etching, which is made by scratching lines on a metal plate and using the plate to make a print.
- Build a theme around the picture or print on the plates and paper goods.
- After the lead-in, the rest of the book consists of colour plates with extended captions that are as interesting as the photographs themselves.
- The books contain 606 plates illustrating 92 percent of the 1189 taxa in the keys.
- 4 countable/numerable 4.1 [Cars/Automovilismo] (license o (British English/inglés británico) number) plate matrícula (feminine), placa (feminine) de matrícula, patente (feminine) (Southern Cone/Cono Sur) , chapa (feminine) (River Plate area/Río de la Plata) 4.2 (plaque) placa (feminine)Example sentences
- It is a brass plate inscribed with the name of a passenger on the ship, Colonel Edward James.
- I also had my own stall now with a brass plate on the stall door with my name.
- Engraved on a metal plate next to the door was the name Entertainment Room.
- By December 1, 2005, all trucks and trailers of more than 10 tons must also have new plates and registration documents.
- It is thought another motorist has cloned the plate to try to escape the £5-a-day congestion charge.
- You can only have a plate which is the same age as or older than the car.
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
A piñata is a hollow figure made of cardboard, or from a clay pot lined with colored paper. Filled with fruit, candy, toys, etc, and hung up at parties, people take turns to stand in front of them blindfolded and try to break them with a stick. They feature in Mexican posadas