- 1 (appeal) [formal] petición (feminine); (in supplication) ruego (masculine), súplica (feminine) despite pleas from local people a pesar de las peticiones de los vecinos she listened to my plea escuchó mis ruegos or súplicasplea
forsth she made a plea for mercy rogó or suplicó or imploró clemencia the play is a plea for tolerance la obra es un llamamiento or (in Latin America also/en América Latina también) un llamado a la toleranciaMore example sentences
- But unlike Moore, he doesn't rely on emotional pleas from hysterical moms and funny songs to lighten the mood.
- Beware of charities long on emotional pleas but short on concrete examples of where the money goes, she advised.
- He also is undecided on his emotions, chopping and changing between angry violent outbursts and whiny emotional pleas.
- 2 [Law/Derecho] to enter a plea of guilty/not guilty declararse culpable/inocente to cop a plea (American English/inglés norteamericano) [colloquial/familiar][ declararse culpable para obtener una sentencia más leve ]More example sentences
- The defendants put forward a plea of justification, based on the issue of the writ itself.
- It seems that he indicated a plea of guilty even before the charge was amended.
- I have already said that I am not going to make a plea of diminished responsibility on the grounds of incapacity.
- 3 (excuse) [formal] pretexto (masculine), excusa (feminine) she didn't come on the plea of illness no vino so pretexto de or pretextando estar enfermaMore example sentences
- You must demonstrate that you have made a decision and will no longer accept philandering, excuses, promises or pleas.
- His attorneys moved on Wednesday to obtain a prompt hearing on his plea that he is legally entitled to release.
- He was given six years for forgery despite his plea that he regarded painting banknotes as "a new form of art."
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Guernica is a Basque town destroyed by German bombers fighting on the Nationalist side in the Spanish Civil War in April 1937.