Translation of plea in Spanish:
- 1 (appeal) [formal] petición (feminine); (in supplication) ruego (masculine), súplica (feminine) despite pleas from local people a pesar de las peticiones de los vecinos she listened to my plea escuchó mis ruegos or súplicasplea
forsth she made a plea for mercy rogó or suplicó or imploró clemencia the play is a plea for tolerance la obra es un llamamiento or (in Latin America also/en América Latina también) un llamado a la toleranciaExample sentences
- But unlike Moore, he doesn't rely on emotional pleas from hysterical moms and funny songs to lighten the mood.
- Beware of charities long on emotional pleas but short on concrete examples of where the money goes, she advised.
- He also is undecided on his emotions, chopping and changing between angry violent outbursts and whiny emotional pleas.
- 2 [Law/Derecho] to enter a plea of guilty/not guilty declararse culpable/inocente to cop a plea (American English/inglés norteamericano) [colloquial/familiar][ declararse culpable para obtener una sentencia más leve ]Example sentences
- The defendants put forward a plea of justification, based on the issue of the writ itself.
- It seems that he indicated a plea of guilty even before the charge was amended.
- I have already said that I am not going to make a plea of diminished responsibility on the grounds of incapacity.
- 3 (excuse) [formal] pretexto (masculine), excusa (feminine) she didn't come on the plea of illness no vino so pretexto de or pretextando estar enfermaExample sentences
- You must demonstrate that you have made a decision and will no longer accept philandering, excuses, promises or pleas.
- His attorneys moved on Wednesday to obtain a prompt hearing on his plea that he is legally entitled to release.
- He was given six years for forgery despite his plea that he regarded painting banknotes as "a new form of art."
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
The Distrito Federal is a district of central Mexico, the seat of the federal government. It includes most of Mexico City and its suburbs, and comes under the direct supervision of the Mexican president.