Translation of plea in Spanish:
- 1 (appeal) [formal] despite pleas from local peoplea pesar de las peticiones de los vecinosshe listened to my pleaescuchó mis ruegos or súplicasplea
forsomethingshe made a plea for mercyrogó or suplicó or imploró clemenciathe play is a plea for tolerancela obra es un llamamiento or (in Latin America also) un llamado a la toleranciaExample sentences
- But unlike Moore, he doesn't rely on emotional pleas from hysterical moms and funny songs to lighten the mood.
- Beware of charities long on emotional pleas but short on concrete examples of where the money goes, she advised.
- He also is undecided on his emotions, chopping and changing between angry violent outbursts and whiny emotional pleas.
- 2 (Law)to enter a plea of guilty/not guiltydeclararse culpable/inocenteto cop a plea (American English) [colloquial](declararse culpable para obtener una sentencia más leve)Example sentences
- The defendants put forward a plea of justification, based on the issue of the writ itself.
- It seems that he indicated a plea of guilty even before the charge was amended.
- I have already said that I am not going to make a plea of diminished responsibility on the grounds of incapacity.
- 3 (excuse) [formal] she didn't come on the plea of illnessno vino so pretexto de or pretextando estar enfermaExample sentences
- You must demonstrate that you have made a decision and will no longer accept philandering, excuses, promises or pleas.
- His attorneys moved on Wednesday to obtain a prompt hearing on his plea that he is legally entitled to release.
- He was given six years for forgery despite his plea that he regarded painting banknotes as "a new form of art."
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.