Translation of pleasantry in Spanish:
noun plural -riescountable
- 1.1 (polite remark) they exchanged the usual (social) pleasantriesintercambiaron los cumplidos or las cortesías de rigorExample sentences1.2 (joking remark)
comentario (masculine) gracioso or jocosoExample sentences
- And off we both went through the rain, pleasantries exchanged and honour satisfied.
- After the introductions were done they exchanged pleasantries with Caitlyn who answered politely to all of them.
- Johnson attempted to start conversation with some pleasantries but Bill was not very talkative.
- He puts on a spectacle so that the guests presume "the whole matter as a well-contrived pleasantry."
- Pleasantry is allowable, not waggery. Besides, even laughter must be kept in check.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
A portero is a superintendent in an apartment building who looks after it, keeps it clean, delivers mail, and keeps an eye on comings and goings. Porteros often have an apartment in the building as part of their pay. The portero, and particularly the female portera, are part of popular culture. They have a reputation for being inquisitive and fond of gossip.