Translation of pledge in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (promise)(support/funds)he pledged his word
prometerdio su palabrato pledge something
tosomebodyprometerle algohe pledged not to come back until he found her aalguienprometió no regresar hasta encontrarlaExample sentences
Example sentences1.2 (commit)to pledge oneself to +
- In-coming President Sean Kelly has pledged that the tournament stays as long as the players want it.
- She pledged that, as promised on the doorsteps, during the canvass, she would now be going back to talk to people and would be listening to what they had to say.
- Concerns about the troubled construction and engineering firm have led campus chiefs to pledge that all students promised a room will still be housed in September.
- A total of US $100 million is already pledged to support the participation of poorer countries.
- To pledge you need the barcode from one of their promotional packs, but no purchase is necessary - you can simply write down the barcode when you're in the supermarket.
- So he was pledged financial income under commercial cover.
infinitivecomprometerseshe is pledged to secrecy a+ infinitiveha jurado que guardará el secreto
ha dado su palabra de que guardará el secretoExample sentences
- The world will be just as dangerous the day after we have solemnly pledged to ignore its dangers.
- Not only have reform groups solemnly pledged to bring facts and common sense to the debate, they propose societal acceptance of expanded, legal use of drugs by adults.
- They originally pledged to continue action for two weeks but ultimately agreed to hold a meeting with Mr. Milloy which took place on Monday, November 15.
- 2 2.1 (offer as guarantee)entregar en garantía or en prendathey pledged their furniture to a moneylenderentregaron los muebles como garantía a un prestamistaI'd be willing to pledge anything for his honestypondría las manos en el fuego por su honestidadExample sentences2.2
(fraternity/sorority) (American English)
- In England it is possible to pledge bearer securities by handing over the certificates themselves.
- Each called for the periodic restoration of land which had been pledged as security and forfeited for unpaid debt.
- When the land is pledged for a loan of Rs.500 the oral deal between Shamu's mother and the money lender Lala is that until the loan is paid, one fourth of the harvest will be paid to Lala towards interest.
aceptar ser miembro provisional de
noun→ Pledge of Allegiance
- 1 1.1 (promise) a solemn pledgeuna promesa solemneelection pledgecompromiso (masculine) electoralthe Pledge of Allegiance (in US)≈ la jura de (la) banderato honor o keep a pledgecumplir una promesato make a pledge to +
cumplir con su ( or mi etc) palabra
infinitiveprometer +she made a pledge to repay all the money infinitiveprometió devolver todo el dineroto sign o take the pledge (History) or [humorous]jurar no probar el alcoholExample sentences1.2 (of money)
cantidad (feminine) prometida
- The solemn pledge taken included an oath swearing to quit the drug habit and to avoid association with former friends and others still involved with drugs.
- Now, both parties had made a solemn pledge never to do this.
- Under twinkling lights and shimmering tulle, 150 or so teens in Central Texas made a solemn pledge.
donativo (masculine) prometidoExample sentences1.3 (in fraternity, sorority)
(American English) (estudiante que se va a convertir en miembro)
- He had charitable pledges and estates fees totaling some $9 million, according to J.P. Morgan sources.
- So far the charity has received donations and pledges from the public amounting to around £9,200 but needs £50,000 to survive until the next financial year.
- A total of 402 households have responded through gifts or pledges and the total amount pledged represents more than twice the target figure of 96,170 euro.
- 2 2.1 (token) as a pledge of his lovecomo prenda de su amor
en señal de su amorExample sentences2.2 (collateral) 2.3 (pawned object) to redeem a pledge
desempeñar una prenda
- The sense of the pledge as debt implied by both translations suggests that the vow or promise is predicated on a loss already inscribed in the speech act.
- The borrower retains ownership of the pledge except on default on the loan, and then the pawnbroker has the opportunity to sell those goods.
- In the table below, enter the information specific to your Pledge of Security and Loan Agreement.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.