- 1.1 (fixed support)also: flagpolealso: tent pole(in fire station)telegraph poleto be up the pole (British English) [colloquial]poste (masculine) telegráficothey're driving me up the pole!estar chiflado or (in Spain also) mochales [colloquial]¡me están enloqueciendo!¡me están sacando de quicio!Example sentences1.2
also: ski pole1.3 (for vaulting)1.4 (for barge, punt)garrocha (feminine) or (Spain) pértiga (feminine)
- But the Transport Research Laboratory has been working on a breakable fence with metal pins between the pole and support.
- The piece is based on a flock of birds in flight - long white poles support wing-shaped metal triangles in a curved line which echoes the movement of a flock.
- Another year passes and not so much as a tent pole in the ground.
- (punt/barge)Example sentences
- If, for example, after grounding the operator tries to power off instead of calling for assistance or poling the boat to deeper water, it will create a ‘blow hole’ in the grass bed about the size of the hull.
- Parvat stopped poling the boat and thought for a moment.
- Kartik and Sanyas take turns poling the boat, the pole dramatic against the sky.
- 1 (Geography) the North/South Poleto be poles apartel Polo Norte/SurExample sentences
- The logic of the correction was to visualise a human form straddling the celestial North Pole and orientated with his feet toward the ground.
- Moreover, depending on the station's location relative to the pole and the season, it could be subject to extended periods of darkness.
- In the polar world, there are three classic expeditions, the North Pole, the South Pole and the Greenland Ice Cap.
- polaco, (-ca) (masculine, feminine)Example sentences
- Right-wing renegades - an English-speaker and a Pole, rather than Afrikaners - were responsible.
- What about the Indians, the Pakistanis, the Italians, the Poles and the English.
- Our films speak only to 40 million Poles in Poland and a few more millions abroad.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...