Translation of poor in Spanish:
adjective -er, -est
- 1 (not wealthy) I'm really poor at the momentando or estoy de lo más pobrematerially rich but spiritually poorrico en dinero pero pobre de espíritusparkling wine is the poor man's champagneel vino espumoso es el champán de los pobresthe standard model is a poor relation of the coupéel modelo estándar es el pariente pobre del cupéExample sentences
- She lives in housing for poor seniors and cannot afford to repair her own vehicle, which she says broke down four years ago.
- In this way it hopes to boost living standards across a broad swathe of poor rural society.
- In our developing, but poor and deprived, society it is the task of the government to provide the means of education.
- 2 (unsatisfactory)(diet/quality)
malo(imitation)poor in vitamins
burdopobre en vitaminasthe acting was poorla interpretación fue pobreher vocabulary is very poor for a child of sixtiene un vocabulario muy pobre para una niña de seis añosmy essay was graded 'poor'me pusieron 'insuficiente' en el trabajoshe has a poor grasp of grammarsus conocimientos de gramática no son buenosshe's a poor golferes una jugadora de golf bastante floja or malatheory is a poor substitute for experiencela teoría no puede reemplazar a la experienciayou're setting a very poor example for the othersles estás dando muy mal ejemplo a los demása remark/joke in poor tasteun comentario/chiste de mal gustoshe's in very poor healthestá muy delicada or muy mal de saludthe weather has been poor all weekha hecho mal tiempo toda la semanaher father took a poor view of the relationshipsu padre no veía la relación con buenos ojosExample sentences
- The instruments trudge along at a snail's pace and the recording quality is poor at best.
- Ignatius Street was a particular problem area with the quality of lighting very poor at each end of it.
- Smoking, poor diet quality and obesity are all clear markers of social disadvantage and a lack of education.
- 3 (unfortunate) (before noun) poor old Charles got soakedel pobre Charles se empapóthe poor thing hadn't slept in two daysel pobrecito or el pobre llevaba dos días sin dormiryou poor thing!¡pobrecito!she's lost it, poor thinglo ha perdido, la pobreExample sentences
- I have the greatest sympathy for this poor woman in her tragic loss, but just think about it!
- And I couldn't help but pity the poor chap who finds himself grappling with one of these after a night out on the sauce with his hot date.
- I saw it's running until March next year and I pity the poor staff.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.