Translation of poor in Spanish:
adjective -er, -est
- 1 (not wealthy) I'm really poor at the momentmaterially rich but spiritually poorando or estoy de lo más pobresparkling wine is the poor man's champagnerico en dinero pero pobre de espírituthe standard model is a poor relation of the coupéel vino espumoso es el champán de los pobresel modelo estándar es el pariente pobre del cupéExample sentences
- She lives in housing for poor seniors and cannot afford to repair her own vehicle, which she says broke down four years ago.
- In this way it hopes to boost living standards across a broad swathe of poor rural society.
- In our developing, but poor and deprived, society it is the task of the government to provide the means of education.
- 2 (unsatisfactory)(diet/quality)(imitation)poor in vitaminsthe acting was poorpobre en vitaminasher vocabulary is very poor for a child of sixla interpretación fue pobremy essay was graded 'poor'tiene un vocabulario muy pobre para una niña de seis añosshe has a poor grasp of grammarme pusieron 'insuficiente' en el trabajoshe's a poor golfersus conocimientos de gramática no son buenostheory is a poor substitute for experiencees una jugadora de golf bastante floja or malayou're setting a very poor example for the othersla teoría no puede reemplazar a la experienciaa remark/joke in poor tasteles estás dando muy mal ejemplo a los demásshe's in very poor healthun comentario/chiste de mal gustothe weather has been poor all weekestá muy delicada or muy mal de saludher father took a poor view of the relationshipha hecho mal tiempo toda la semanasu padre no veía la relación con buenos ojosExample sentences
- The instruments trudge along at a snail's pace and the recording quality is poor at best.
- Ignatius Street was a particular problem area with the quality of lighting very poor at each end of it.
- Smoking, poor diet quality and obesity are all clear markers of social disadvantage and a lack of education.
- 3 (unfortunate) (before noun) poor old Charles got soakedthe poor thing hadn't slept in two daysel pobre Charles se empapóyou poor thing!el pobrecito or el pobre llevaba dos días sin dormirshe's lost it, poor thing¡pobrecito!lo ha perdido, la pobreExample sentences
- I have the greatest sympathy for this poor woman in her tragic loss, but just think about it!
- And I couldn't help but pity the poor chap who finds himself grappling with one of these after a night out on the sauce with his hot date.
- I saw it's running until March next year and I pity the poor staff.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Carnaval is the three days of festivities preceding Lent, characterized by costumes, masks, drinking, music, and dancing.