- 1 1.1 (well-liked) he's not very popular around here por aquí no le tienen mucha simpatía, por aquí no tiene muchos amigos he's a very popular politician among the young es un político muy popular entre los jóvenesto be popular
withsb she is popular with her students goza de popularidad entre sus alumnos he's very popular with the girls tiene mucho éxito con las chicas I'm not very popular with her at the moment [colloquial/familiar] últimamente no soy santo de su devoción [colloquial/familiar] 1.2 (frequently used) [resort/restaurant] muy frecuentado a list of the most popular names una lista de los nombres más comunes the most popular reason cited by respondents la respuesta más frecuente entre los encuestadosMore example sentences1.3 (cheap) [line] económico; [price] económico, popular
More example sentences
- It's a cross between netball and football, and is popular with Norwegian girls in this country.
- I was awkward around girls, albeit very popular with them because I could make them laugh.
- Mardar is a motorcycle courier, popular with the girls for his brooding good looks.
- We have at least established that contrary to popular belief, Yanks do have a sense of humour.
- There is a popular belief that property is a better investment than shares.
- In modern drama there is no such thing as the rational counter to wildfire popular beliefs.
- 2 2.1 (not highbrow, specialist) [music/literature] popular the film was a great popular success la película tuvo mucho éxito entre el gran público the popular press la prensa popular 2.2 (of populace) [feeling/resentment] popular; [rebellion] del pueblo, popular the popular vote el voto popular by popular demand/request a petición or (in Latin America also/en América Latina también) a pedido del público 2.3 (widespread) [belief/notion] generalizadoMore example sentences
More example sentences
- The salient reality was the depth of popular antipathy to the political establishment as a whole.
- I fear that you are the victim of a political party struggling to find popular appeal.
- The election was held without any great popular enthusiasm for any politician.
- Moreover, no popular bestseller has been written or translated on this issue.
- I wonder if this approach is so popular because of intellectual laziness as much as anything else?
- Not that Home has much hope of appealing to popular taste stuck away on BBC Four, of course.
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
The Cortes Generales is the Spanish Parliament, consisting of two houses, the lower house or Congreso de los Diputados and the upper house or Senado. It is a legislative body, approves state budgets, and exercises other powers relating to international treaties and agreements, the autonomous regions and appointments to posts in institutions such as the Tribunal Constitucional.