Translation of popular in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (well-liked) he's not very popular around herepor aquí no le tienen mucha simpatíahe's a very popular politician among the young
por aquí no tiene muchos amigoses un político muy popular entre los jóvenesto be popular
withsomebodyshe is popular with her studentsgoza de popularidad entre sus alumnoshe's very popular with the girlstiene mucho éxito con las chicasI'm not very popular with her at the moment [colloquial]últimamente no soy santo de su devoción [colloquial]1.2 (frequently used)(resort/restaurant)a list of the most popular names
muy frecuentadouna lista de los nombres más comunesthe most popular reason cited by respondentsla respuesta más frecuente entre los encuestadosExample sentences1.3 (cheap)
- It's a cross between netball and football, and is popular with Norwegian girls in this country.
- I was awkward around girls, albeit very popular with them because I could make them laugh.
- Mardar is a motorcycle courier, popular with the girls for his brooding good looks.
- We have at least established that contrary to popular belief, Yanks do have a sense of humour.
- There is a popular belief that property is a better investment than shares.
- In modern drama there is no such thing as the rational counter to wildfire popular beliefs.
- 2 2.1 (not highbrow, specialist)(music/literature)the film was a great popular success
popularla película tuvo mucho éxito entre el gran públicothe popular pressla prensa popular2.2 (of populace)(feeling/resentment)
popular(rebellion)the popular vote
popularel voto popularby popular demand/requesta petición or (in Latin America also) a pedido del público2.3 (widespread)(belief/notion)
- The salient reality was the depth of popular antipathy to the political establishment as a whole.
- I fear that you are the victim of a political party struggling to find popular appeal.
- The election was held without any great popular enthusiasm for any politician.
- Moreover, no popular bestseller has been written or translated on this issue.
- I wonder if this approach is so popular because of intellectual laziness as much as anything else?
- Not that Home has much hope of appealing to popular taste stuck away on BBC Four, of course.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.