- 1 countable (at station, airport)(on expedition) porteador (masculine)(in hospital) (British English)
camillero (masculine)Example sentences
- The car drove off to the train station, and the porters put her luggage on the train.
- Commuters alighting at the station, porters with luggage on their head and the crowds on the platform as the train arrives, were all there.
- For many years he worked as a railway porter and engine driver in Moscow, painting in his spare time, but from 1967 he was a full-time artist.
- Another group that has carved out an occupational niche for itself is the Sherpas, who are well known as guides and porters for mountain-climbing expeditions.
- The military also forces villages to supply porters to carry army supplies to their operations.
- Late in a day of falling into waist-deep slime, being bitten by ants, and clawing up mudslides, my expedition mates, our porters, and I crawled under a rock to escape the cold, driving rain.
- 2 countable(American English) (Railways) (sleeping-car attendant) mozo (masculine)
camarero (masculine) (Southern Cone)
porter (masculine) (Mexico)Example sentences
- He was a porter on a Pullman sleeping car during the golden age of rail travel.
- Parks had worked closely with E.D. Nixon, a black trade unionist in Montgomery, the head of the local branch of the sleeping car porters ' union and a longtime fighter for voting rights and other issues.
- Bellboys, porters, restroom attendants and taxi drivers will happily accept loose change.
- 3 uncountable (Cookery)(tipo de cerveza negra)Example sentences
- Three beer styles are eligible in the competition: sweet stout, brown porter and best bitter.
- For example, Pilsner is one of the most popular lagers, while porter and stout are examples of ales.
- Originally, all beers were dark and heavy, similar to the porters, stouts and brown ales of Britain.
- 1 (in hotel, apartment block)Example sentences
- The porters at the College and eleven hired security officials then detained a man at the instruction of the College Dean while the police were called.
- She pursued the thief onto the High Street before returning to Exeter College to alert the porters.
- He worked as a night porter in hotels, which no doubt gave him time to read.
- 2 (in college)(British English)
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.