- 1 c (at station, airport) maletero (m), mozo (m), changador (m) (RPl) ; (on expedition) porteador (m); (in hospital) (BrE) camillero (m)More example sentences
- Another group that has carved out an occupational niche for itself is the Sherpas, who are well known as guides and porters for mountain-climbing expeditions.
- The military also forces villages to supply porters to carry army supplies to their operations.
- Late in a day of falling into waist-deep slime, being bitten by ants, and clawing up mudslides, my expedition mates, our porters, and I crawled under a rock to escape the cold, driving rain.
- 2 c 2.1 (in hotel, apartment block) portero (m) 2.2 (in college) (BrE) bedel (m) 2.3 (AmE) [Rail] (sleeping-car attendant) mozo (m), camarero (m) (CS) , porter (m) (Méx)More example sentences
More example sentences
- He was a porter on a Pullman sleeping car during the golden age of rail travel.
- Parks had worked closely with E.D. Nixon, a black trade unionist in Montgomery, the head of the local branch of the sleeping car porters ' union and a longtime fighter for voting rights and other issues.
- Bellboys, porters, restroom attendants and taxi drivers will happily accept loose change.
More example sentences
- The car drove off to the train station, and the porters put her luggage on the train.
- Commuters alighting at the station, porters with luggage on their head and the crowds on the platform as the train arrives, were all there.
- For many years he worked as a railway porter and engine driver in Moscow, painting in his spare time, but from 1967 he was a full-time artist.
- The porters at the College and eleven hired security officials then detained a man at the instruction of the College Dean while the police were called.
- She pursued the thief onto the High Street before returning to Exeter College to alert the porters.
- He worked as a night porter in hotels, which no doubt gave him time to read.
- 3 u [Culin]tipo de cerveza negraMore example sentences
- Three beer styles are eligible in the competition: sweet stout, brown porter and best bitter.
- For example, Pilsner is one of the most popular lagers, while porter and stout are examples of ales.
- Originally, all beers were dark and heavy, similar to the porters, stouts and brown ales of Britain.
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Sanfermines (The festival of San Fermín) is from 6th-14th July and el encierro (the 'running of the bulls'), takes place in Pamplona in northern Spain. The animals are released into the barricaded streets and people run in front of them, in honor of the town´s patron saint, San Fermín, who was put to death by being dragged by bulls.