Translation of position in Spanish:
- 1 countable 1.1 (location) can you give me your exact position?¿puede darme su posición or (especially Latin America) ubicación exacta?enemy positionsposiciones (feminine plural) enemigasposition closed (British English)ventanilla cerradathey took up their positions in the paradeocuparon sus puestos en el desfilepolicemen had taken up positions around the buildinglos policías se habían apostado alrededor del edificiothe castle occupies a commanding position above the townel castillo domina la ciudad desde lo altothey changed positionse cambiaron de lugar or de sitioto be in position/out of positionestar en su sitio/fuera de lugarExample sentences1.2 (Sport)
- This is determined by the simple expedient of the listener holding a microphone to locate their position in the room.
- He made another important contribution in using a grid to locate positions of places on the Earth.
- Bringing the pole down into a horizontal position, my right arm out behind me, locating the position of my left hand was easy.
- Don't we need provisions in player contracts that require the players to accept positions on the Olympic team?
- The team spent the rest of the draft wisely looking for backups at depth-shy positions and special team players.
- Third base once was a position flush with players with outsize offensive numbers.
- 2 countable 2.1 (posture) 2.2 (stance, point of view)Example sentences
- The walls, which can be moved to any number of positions, have been arranged so that visitors can enjoy intriguing and compelling vistas of Klee's works.
- When pasting the red paper on the door, the character fu must be arranged in an upside-down position.
- The big pile of bedding to the left is our futons which I've expertly arranged into a sitting position.
- What is worse is that they assume that their view constitutes a feminist position on the issue.
- Is it possible to take a position on violence as a means towards an end, regardless of the nature of that end?
- Opinions, ideas, viewpoints, positions, perspectives, angles, impressions - now these I can handle.
- 3 3.1 countable (in hierarchy) in second/third positionen segundo/tercer puesto or lugar3.2 countable (job, post) [formal] a position of responsibility/trustun puesto de responsabilidad/confianzaExample sentences3.3 uncountable (social standing)
- There are some paid positions, but at levels below what any mainstream publication would consider a skeleton staff.
- It usually appoints its cronies to positions of importance.
- At that time, I was running for elections for the position of external relations Officer.
- Everyone wants to play for each other, but we're all in different positions at club level, so some will be out to prove a point
- I am now considering my options in relation to my position in the Labour party.
- I feel languorous about my world, and of my position and importance in it.
- 4 countable (situation, circumstances) our economic position has improvednuestra situación económica ha mejoradothe workforce is in a strong bargaining positionlos trabajadores están en una buena posición para negociarwhat's the current position with regard to deliveries?¿cúal es la situación con respecto a las entregas?it put us in a difficult/an awkward positionnos puso en una situación difícil/delicada(if I were) in your positionyo que túput yourself in my position Jean's in the best position to know
yo en tu lugarJean es quien mejor puede saberloyou're in no position to criticizeno eres la persona más indicada para criticarI'm not in a position to help them at the momenten este momento no estoy en condiciones de prestarles ayudaI'm in the fortunate position of having a private incometengo la suerte de disponer de rentasExample sentences
- Any significant increase in costs could affect the financial position adversely.
- I am not in a position to judge the financial standing of either company.
- After all, the government says it will continuously review its position as the situation changes.
- police had been positioned at both ends of the streethabían apostado policías a ambos extremos de la callehe positioned himself between the two guests of honorse situó or (in Latin America also) se ubicó entre los dos invitados de honorExample sentences
- The rain stopped as soon as we had positioned ourselves in the doors and windows overlooking the lawn and the porch.
- The staff can keep an eye on everyone from their centrally positioned work station.
- The cafeteria lunch servers are positioned near the doors with bags of chips, cookies, and soda in case you need a quick recharge.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.