Translation of positive in Spanish:
- 1 1.1(number/quantity)
positivocatión (masculine)the test was positive (Medicine)
ión (masculine) positivoel análisis dio positivoExample sentences
Example sentences1.2 (Photography)
- He defines limits of positive variable quantities using ideas that he had used in looking at limits of series.
- Zero divided by negative or positive numbers is either zero or is expressed as a fraction with zero as numerator and the finite quantity as denominator.
- He also worked on number theory proving in 1770 that every positive integer is the sum of four squares.
- These minerals in their ion state carry either negative or positive charges, much like a car battery.
- At least one of the positive and negative high voltage power supplies switches between a high state and a low state.
- Predicted by quantum theory, ghost radiation is a negative energy field that dampens normal positive energy.
Example sentences1.3 (Linguistics)
- Exuding confidence and advocating a positive outlook, he has no harsh words for anyone.
- The meeting appeared to be positive and constructive and we were assured that our views would be taken on board.
- I have always kept my optimism and my positive approach to life.
- This kind of photograph is a unique positive picture produced on a thin sheet of iron blackened by tar.
- To his great surprise, when Pia examined his negatives, there was a positive image!
- In fact, there are two copies of that issue in the bound volumes - one cover features a positive shot, the other a negative one.
- We were studying positive, comparative and superlative adjectives and, as usual, having a pretty hard time with it.
- 2 2.1 (constructive)(attitude)
positivo(criticism)that's not the attitude, try positive thinking
constructivocambia de actitud, intenta ser más positivolook on the positive sidemira lo positivo or el lado positivo2.2 (for the good)(influence/development)a positive experience
positivouna experiencia positiva
- 3 (definite) there is no positive evidenceno hay pruebas concluyentes or definitivas or fehacientesthe group still lacks a positive identityal grupo todavía le falta una identidad definidait was the first positive sighting in the areafue la primera vez que categóricamente or decididamente se lo avistó en la regiónExample sentences
- Should the test have a positive result, indicating that a condition has been detected, the parents will need counselling and support.
- The experiment has shown positive results, and presently, the infants are living normally.
- Incorrect responses on either or both tasks are scored as a positive result, indicating dementia.
- 4 (absolute) (before noun) it's a positive disgracees una auténtica or verdadera vergüenzaExample sentences
- Food shopping online is a positive delight compared to a couple of years ago, according to those consumer guardians at Which?
- I had an Iron Maiden Tshirt, despite having no affinity for the Maiden at all, and, in fact, a positive disdain.
- Some theologians have a positive genius for cloaking sensible ideas in impenetrable jargon.
- 5 5.1 (decisive) she's very positive in her likes and dislikeses muy categórica en sus preferenciaswhat we need is positive leadershiplo que necesitamos es un liderazgo firmeExample sentences5.2 (sure) [colloquial] (predicative) are you sure? — positive
¿estás seguro? — segurísimo or más que seguroI'm positive I've met him beforeestoy segurísima de que lo conozcoshe was positive about the date/having seen himestaba muy segura de la fecha/de haberlo vistoExample sentences
- You need someone who has the actual expertise to confirm positive identification.
- I wish I had a more concrete, definite, positive, upbeat answer to give.
- Where then, Marx asks, is the positive possibility of German freedom to be found?
- She hated him, that was very certain and she grew more and more positive of this fact as the next few days passed.
- Officers had been 99.9 per cent positive it was Jenna because the teenager's ring was found with the body.
- Eyewitness testimony in court cases - even from witnesses who are absolutely positive about what they saw - should be taken with a grain of salt.
- 2 countable 2.1 (Photography)Example sentences2.2 countable (Mathematics)only one of these values is a positive
solo uno de estos valores es positivoExample sentences2.3 countable (Linguistics)
- In this process I first make a contact interpositive and then an enlarged negative from the contact positive.
- It has a built-in transparency adapter, so it can scan 35 mm photo negatives and positives (slides).
- The first test is to determine the correct exposure for a film positive.
- Two positives combined will always yield another positive.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.