- 1 countable/numerable(cooking pot)1.1 olla (feminine) pots and pans cacharros (masculine plural) [colloquial/familiar], trastes (masculine plural) (Mexico/México) it's a case of the pot calling the kettle black dijo la sartén al cazo: retírate que me tiznas to go to pot [colloquial/familiar] echarse a perder, venirse* abajo to keep the pot boiling mantener* el ambiente caldeado a watched pot never boils el que espera, desespera gold1 1 2 1.2 (for jam, honey etc) tarro (m), bote (m) (Spain/España) 1.3(teapot)tetera (feminine)(coffeepot)cafetera (feminine) a pot of tea for two té para dosMore example sentences1.4 (in pottery) vasija (feminine) 1.5 (drinking vessel) [archaic/arcaico] jarro (masculine)
More example sentences
- Her house is a small thatched cubby-hole with an empty grain storage pot.
- Mr Ogogo also demonstrated traditional coil pot design, sculptural techniques and how to design and make traditional jewellery.
- At the Kittling Ridge Estate there are guided tours of the winery and distillery, with its vast fermentation cellars, copper pots and oak barrels.
- I used to think that absolutely nothing could provide contentment equal to a pot of coffee and a four-pound Sunday newspaper.
- A pot of tea for Ann and sparkling mineral water for me completed our snack at £8.15.
- Especially if you accompany it with a pot of Chinese tea - great for the digestion and known to lower cholesterol levels - rather than the usual pint of lager.
- 3 (no plural/sin plural) 3.1 (in card games) pozo (m), bote (m) (especially Spain/especialmente España) to win the pot llevarse el pozo or (especially Spain/especialmente España) el bote to sweeten the pot (in cards) subir el pozo or (especially Spain/especialmente España) el bote we can throw in the air conditioning to sweeten the pot podemos incluir el aire acondicionado para hacer más atractiva la oferta 3.2 (kitty) fondo (m) común, bote (m) (especially Spain/especialmente España)More example sentences
- Operators would rather rake the pot than charge per hand, because they can take out more money.
- The winner of the pot in the poker stage begins the play by leading a card face up in front of them.
- I decided to just call so as to keep as many as possible in the pot.
- 4 countable/numerable (large amount) (especially British English/especialmente inglés británico) (often plural/frecuentemente plural) [colloquial/familiar] he made pots o a pot of money se forró [colloquial/familiar], hizo un montón de plata (South America/América del Sur) [colloquial/familiar], hizo un montón or la tira de dinero (Spain/España) [colloquial/familiar]
- 5 countable/numerable (in snooker) (British English/inglés británico) billa (feminine)More example sentences
- Attempting to position the cue ball for a pot on the black to a centre pocket, he experienced an unusually excessive bounce off the top cushion which took the white way past its intended spot.
- He fought back to take a nervous 14th frame with both players missing straightforward pots as the tension mounted.
- The tournament favourite raised a finger to a pocket after missing a difficult pot during his 10-6 success.
- 8 uncountable/no numerable (marijuana) [colloquial/familiar] hierba (feminine) [colloquial/familiar], maría (feminine) (Spain/España) [slang/argot], mota (feminine) (Mexico/México) [colloquial/familiar]More example sentences
More example sentences
- The BU Terriers are the Yankees of the tournament, having seized the silver pot 24 times.
- The day passed quickly, filled with scary word puzzles and history trivia games with Jolly Rancher prize pots.
- Il Capitano finished top of his heat having accumulated all the low-denomination chips, meaning that he had won a great many small pots uncontested.
More example sentences
- As I explained to Shawn, I feel a great amount of back fat, and the lower-slung jeans that I wear make the pot that is my belly especially obvious to me.
- It's also a very good pattern for anyone who has a bit of a pot, because the crossgrain hangs down straight, and totally diminishes a pot.
- The model here is the Dutch program of allowing users to smoke pot in licensed cannabis shops.
- When are we going to catch up with other countries and realise that smoking a bit of pot is not going to turn us all into cocaine addicts.
- In an atmosphere of ecstasy, pot smoking and cocaine line drug taking the evening gets out of hand.
Palacio de Oriente, also known as the Palacio Real, is the official residence of the Spanish Royal Family. The Royal Family now lives in the Palacio de la Zarzuela, on the outskirts of Madrid.
- 1 [plant] plantar (en una maceta)More example sentences
- Schizanthus are very slow to germinate, so it's best to purchase plants that are already potted from your garden center.
- Similarly, other potted flowering plants, including anthuriums and bromeliads, are becoming important.
- When potting or planting, care must be taken to avoid damaging them.
- 2 (in snooker, billiards) (British English/inglés británico) meter, entronerarMore example sentences
- He potted 13 reds and 12 blacks before losing position on the colour.
- He is unfortunate to snooker himself in the pack after potting a long red.
- But then he potted an audacious red to begin a run of 29.