- 1also: cooking pot1.1 pots and panscacharros (masculine plural) [colloquial]trastes (masculine plural) (Mexico)it's a case of the pot calling the kettle blackdijo la sartén al cazo: retírate que me tiznasto go to pot [colloquial] to keep the pot boilingmantener el ambiente caldeadoa watched pot never boilsel que espera, desespera→ gold 1 1 2Example sentences1.2 (for jam, honey etc)
- She could understand why they would need cooking pots and pans, rope, blankets, even the sword he had taken with him.
- These paste attributes suggest the multipurpose nature of these vessel forms, used as cooking pots and containers.
- It had fired jugs, pans, cooking pots and roofing tiles in the 14th century, and similar wares have been found on excavations locally and in adjacent counties.
also: teapotalso: coffeepota pot of tea for twoté para dos1.4 (in pottery) 1.5 (drinking vessel) [archaic]Example sentences
- Her house is a small thatched cubby-hole with an empty grain storage pot.
- Mr Ogogo also demonstrated traditional coil pot design, sculptural techniques and how to design and make traditional jewellery.
- At the Kittling Ridge Estate there are guided tours of the winery and distillery, with its vast fermentation cellars, copper pots and oak barrels.
- I used to think that absolutely nothing could provide contentment equal to a pot of coffee and a four-pound Sunday newspaper.
- A pot of tea for Ann and sparkling mineral water for me completed our snack at £8.15.
- Especially if you accompany it with a pot of Chinese tea - great for the digestion and known to lower cholesterol levels - rather than the usual pint of lager.
- 3 (no plural) 3.1 (in card games)bote (masculine) (esp Spain)to win the potllevarse el pozo or (esp Spain) el boteto sweeten the pot (in cards)subir el pozo or (esp Spain) el botewe can throw in the air conditioning to sweeten the potpodemos incluir el aire acondicionado para hacer más atractiva la ofertaExample sentences3.2 (kitty)
fondo (masculine) comúnbote (masculine) (esp Spain)
- Operators would rather rake the pot than charge per hand, because they can take out more money.
- The winner of the pot in the poker stage begins the play by leading a card face up in front of them.
- I decided to just call so as to keep as many as possible in the pot.
- 4 (large amount) (esp British English) (often plural) [colloquial]he made pots o a pot of moneyse forró [colloquial]hizo un montón de plata (South America) [colloquial]hizo un montón or la tira de dinero (Spain) [colloquial]
- 5 (in snooker) (British English)billa (feminine)Example sentences
- Attempting to position the cue ball for a pot on the black to a centre pocket, he experienced an unusually excessive bounce off the top cushion which took the white way past its intended spot.
- He fought back to take a nervous 14th frame with both players missing straightforward pots as the tension mounted.
- The tournament favourite raised a finger to a pocket after missing a difficult pot during his 10-6 success.
- 6 (potbelly) [colloquial]panza (feminine) [colloquial]barriga (feminine) [colloquial]Example sentences
- As I explained to Shawn, I feel a great amount of back fat, and the lower-slung jeans that I wear make the pot that is my belly especially obvious to me.
- It's also a very good pattern for anyone who has a bit of a pot, because the crossgrain hangs down straight, and totally diminishes a pot.
- 7→ potshot
transitive verb -tt-
plantar (en una maceta)Example sentences
- Schizanthus are very slow to germinate, so it's best to purchase plants that are already potted from your garden center.
- Similarly, other potted flowering plants, including anthuriums and bromeliads, are becoming important.
- When potting or planting, care must be taken to avoid damaging them.
- uncountable (marijuana) [colloquial]hierba (feminine) [colloquial]maría (feminine) (Spain) [slang]mota (feminine) (Mexico) [colloquial]Example sentences
- The model here is the Dutch program of allowing users to smoke pot in licensed cannabis shops.
- When are we going to catch up with other countries and realise that smoking a bit of pot is not going to turn us all into cocaine addicts.
- In an atmosphere of ecstasy, pot smoking and cocaine line drug taking the evening gets out of hand.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.