Translation of precede in Spanish:
transitive verb/verbo transitivo[formal]
- 1.1 (in time, space) preceder a, anteceder a in the months preceding the invasion en los meses que precedieron or antecedieron a la invasión dismissal must be preceded by a warning el despido debe ir precedido de un aviso the King was preceded by his courtiers el rey iba precedido de sus cortesanos 1.2 (outrank) tener* prioridad or precedencia sobreExample sentences
- From there it goes into the long samurai history, each chapter preceded with a page of settings and players to fully set the scene.
- Still, I drew it on the page immediately preceding the most killer page in the whole book.
- The specification proper is preceded by a three page End User License Agreement, in small type.
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo
- 1.1 (come before) preceder 1.2(preceding present participle/participio presente)[day/year] anterior; [page/paragraph/chapter] anterior, precedenteExample sentences
- Elections are won and lost not in the four weeks of campaigning but in the long battle of ideas that precedes them.
- There was no mention in the evidence of any explosion preceding this observation.
- One witness reported hearing an explosion precede the fire.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
An estanco is an establishment selling tobacco, stamps, bus and subway passes and other products whose sale is restricted. Cigarettes etc are sold in bars and cafés but at higher prices. Estancos also sell stationery and sometimes newspapers.