transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- [feathers] arreglar con el picoMore example sentences
- This louse is the only common parasite on satin bowerbirds, and it is found mainly around the head and eyes where birds cannot easily preen.
- With hundreds of new feathers regenerating, the bird must preen constantly.
- When preening, birds nibble and stroke their feathers, returning them to correct position.
reflexive verb/verbo reflexivo
- to preen oneself [bird] arreglarse las plumas con el pico [person] acicalarse to preen oneself
onsth/ -ingvanagloriarse or pavonearse dealgo/+ infinitive/infinitivo
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo
- [bird] arreglarse las plumas con el pico; [person] acicalarseMore example sentences
- They start cramming the barricades, the ladies start primping and preening themselves in their compact mirrors.
- We're always expected to be preening ourselves, so it was a pretty nice opportunity not to have to think about that stuff for a while.
- Television stars had been preening themselves for the red carpet at Claridges, where some of the hottest designers, make-up artists, jewellers and hair stylists had taken up residence.
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
Spain had three civil wars known as the guerras carlistas (1833-39, 1860, 1872-76). When Fernando VII died in 1833, he was succeeded not by his brother the Infante Don Carlos de Borbón, but by his daughter Isabel, under the regency of her mother María Cristina. This provoked a mainly northern-Spanish revolt, with local guerrillas pitted against the forces of the central government. The Carlist Wars were also a confrontation between conservative rural Catholic Spain, especially the Basque provinces and Aragón, led by the carlistas, and the progressive liberal urban middle classes allied with the army. Carlos died in 1855, but the carlistas, representing political and religious traditionalism, supported his descendants' claims until reconciliation in 1977 with King Juan Carlos.