Translation of preen in Spanish:
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- [feathers] arreglar con el picoExample sentences
- This louse is the only common parasite on satin bowerbirds, and it is found mainly around the head and eyes where birds cannot easily preen.
- With hundreds of new feathers regenerating, the bird must preen constantly.
- When preening, birds nibble and stroke their feathers, returning them to correct position.
reflexive verb/verbo reflexivo
- to preen oneself [bird] arreglarse las plumas con el pico [person] acicalarse to preen oneself
onsth/ -ingvanagloriarse or pavonearse dealgo/+ infinitive/infinitivo
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo
- [bird] arreglarse las plumas con el pico; [person] acicalarseExample sentences
- They start cramming the barricades, the ladies start primping and preening themselves in their compact mirrors.
- We're always expected to be preening ourselves, so it was a pretty nice opportunity not to have to think about that stuff for a while.
- Television stars had been preening themselves for the red carpet at Claridges, where some of the hottest designers, make-up artists, jewellers and hair stylists had taken up residence.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
In Spain, a gestoría is an office that deals with government agencies on behalf of its clients. It is common practice to use a gestoría to avoid the problems of dealing with Spanish bureaucracy, despite the cost involved.