Translation of president in Spanish:
- 1.1 (of state)presidente, (-ta) (masculine, feminine)President of the European CommissionPresidente (masculine and feminine) de la Comisión EuropeaExample sentences1.2 (of society)
presidente, (-ta) (masculine, feminine)Example sentences1.3 (of bank, corporation)
- It had a democratically elected president and a Congress just as we do.
- I never thought I'd be so well cared for by the president and the Republicans in Congress.
- Everyone who says vote Democrat at any price accepts that somehow Democratic presidents have a better record than Republican presidents.
(especially American English)
- It's hard to be interested in winning when your organization - from the president down to the manager - isn't.
- Samuel Pepys was the son of a London tailor and a president of the Royal Society.
- And we'll also have gorillas, crows, dogs, and the new president of the Royal Society of London.
director, (-tora) (masculine, feminine)
presidente, (-ta) (masculine, feminine)Example sentences1.4 (of university)
- Foster was the president of Shaker Title Services, which is now defunct.
- Ecuador's state oil company president resigned Tuesday for failing to halt a steady decline in production.
rector, (-tora) (masculine, feminine)Example sentences
- A new president of Murray State University, F. King Alexander, took office this past winter.
- Only 2 percent of all women presidents head major research universities.
- The chief executive officer of a university is the president, who is usually appointed by the government.
Cultural Note: President
En Estados Unidos el Presidente puede gobernar un máximo de dos legislaturas ( terms) de cuatro años cada una. Es el jefe del Estado, es responsable de la política exterior y es comandante en jefe de las fuerzas armadas.
Cultural Note: President's Day
Un día festivo en EEUU. Es el tercer lunes de febrero, cuando se celebra el cumpleaños de los famosos presidentes George Washington y Abraham Lincoln.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.