Translation of president in Spanish:
- 1 (of state)presidente, (-ta) (masculine, feminine)President of the European CommissionPresidente (masculine or feminine) de la Comisión EuropeaExample sentences
- It had a democratically elected president and a Congress just as we do.
- I never thought I'd be so well cared for by the president and the Republicans in Congress.
- Everyone who says vote Democrat at any price accepts that somehow Democratic presidents have a better record than Republican presidents.
- 2 (of society)presidente, (-ta) (masculine, feminine)Example sentences
- It's hard to be interested in winning when your organization - from the president down to the manager - isn't.
- Samuel Pepys was the son of a London tailor and a president of the Royal Society.
- And we'll also have gorillas, crows, dogs, and the new president of the Royal Society of London.
- 3 (of bank, corporation) (esp American English)director, (-tora) (masculine, feminine)
presidente, (-ta) (masculine, feminine)Example sentences
- Foster was the president of Shaker Title Services, which is now defunct.
- Ecuador's state oil company president resigned Tuesday for failing to halt a steady decline in production.
- 4 (of university) (American English)rector, (-tora) (masculine, feminine)Example sentences
- A new president of Murray State University, F. King Alexander, took office this past winter.
- Only 2 percent of all women presidents head major research universities.
- The chief executive officer of a university is the president, who is usually appointed by the government.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Cultural Note: President
En Estados Unidos el Presidente puede gobernar un máximo de dos legislaturas ( terms) de cuatro años cada una. Es el jefe del Estado, es responsable de la política exterior y es comandante en jefe de las fuerzas armadas.
Cultural Note: President's Day
Un día festivo en EEUU. Es el tercer lunes de febrero, cuando se celebra el cumpleaños de los famosos presidentes George Washington y Abraham Lincoln.