Translation of pressure in Spanish:
- 1 uncountable and countable 1.1 (Physics) high/low pressure (Meteorology)altas/bajas presionesExample sentences
Example sentences1.2 (press, touch) to put pressure on something
- Usually the honey is extracted by crushing the comb and letting the honey drain out, often helped by extra pressure from a centrifuge.
- This scissoring of the bones causes extra pressure to be forced upon the Carpal Tunnel.
- Nikki took his foot in her lap and applied slight pressure to the tender spot.
hacer presión sobre algo
- The systems and methods apply positive and negative fluid pressures to operate the pump and valve.
- As for the control, the resulting new steady-state pressures and reflection coefficients of the OPR were measured.
- The peptides seem to form metastable films which can be compressed to relatively large surface pressures.
- 2 uncountable (influence, force) to work under pressuretrabajar bajo presiónthey are under pressure to accept the offerlos están presionando para que acepten la ofertathe government is under pressure from the unionslos sindicatos están presionando al gobiernohe confessed under pressure from the policeconfesó presionado por la policíato bring pressure to bear on somebodyejercer presión sobre alguienthey are bringing pressure to bear on the government to reform the lawestán ejerciendo presión sobre el gobierno para que reforme la leyto put pressure on somebodypresionar a alguienthey are putting pressure on the workers to accept the offerestán presionando a los obreros para que acepten la ofertato put/pile on the pressure [colloquial]apretar los tornillos [colloquial]Example sentences
- Second, it effectively concentrates downward pressure of the dollar onto the euro, adding to the problems of the Euro-zone.
- It was felt that the unemployment situation had already placed downward pressure on wages in the town.
- She realises now that financial pressure could have an influence on her game.
- 3 uncountable and countable (demands, stress) pressure of work prevents me from comingno puedo asistir por razones de trabajothe pressures of city lifelas presiones or las tensiones a las que somete la vida urbanaI've been under a lot of pressure recentlyúltimamente he estado muy agobiadothe new road has taken the pressure off the town centerla nueva carretera ha descongestionado el centro de la ciudad
- to pressure somebody to +
infinitivepresionar a alguienCongress is pressuring him to accept a compromise para que+ subjunctiveel congreso lo está presionando para que transijato pressure somebody into -inghe was pressured into withdrawing from the competitionlo presionaron hasta que se retiró del concursoExample sentences
- She didn't want to do it but he pressured her and badgered her until she finally gave in.
- Mr. Harvey had great expectations of his son, and pressured him to pursue the same career path.
- To me, pressuring people to withdraw their support for the award is challenging the good faith of the body which chose the winner.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.