Translation of pressure in Spanish:
- 1 u and c 1.1 [Physics/Física] presión (feminine) high/low pressure [Meteorol] altas/bajas presionesExample sentences1.2 (press, touch) presión (feminine) to put pressure on sth hacer* presión sobre algo
- The systems and methods apply positive and negative fluid pressures to operate the pump and valve.
- As for the control, the resulting new steady-state pressures and reflection coefficients of the OPR were measured.
- The peptides seem to form metastable films which can be compressed to relatively large surface pressures.
- 2 uncountable/no numerable (influence, force) presión (feminine) to work under pressure trabajar bajo presión they are under pressure to accept the offer los están presionando para que acepten la oferta the government is under pressure from the unions los sindicatos están presionando al gobierno he confessed under pressure from the police confesó presionado por la policía to bring pressure to bear on sb ejercer* presión sobre algn they are bringing pressure to bear on the government to reform the law están ejerciendo presión sobre el gobierno para que reforme la ley to put pressure on sb presionar a algn they are putting pressure on the workers to accept the offer están presionando a los obreros para que acepten la oferta to put/pile on the pressure [colloquial/familiar] apretar* los tornillos [colloquial/familiar]Example sentences
- Usually the honey is extracted by crushing the comb and letting the honey drain out, often helped by extra pressure from a centrifuge.
- This scissoring of the bones causes extra pressure to be forced upon the Carpal Tunnel.
- Nikki took his foot in her lap and applied slight pressure to the tender spot.
- Second, it effectively concentrates downward pressure of the dollar onto the euro, adding to the problems of the Euro-zone.
- It was felt that the unemployment situation had already placed downward pressure on wages in the town.
- She realises now that financial pressure could have an influence on her game.
- 3 u and c (demands, stress) pressure of work prevents me from coming no puedo asistir por razones de trabajo the pressures of city life las presiones or las tensiones a las que somete la vida urbana I've been under a lot of pressure recently últimamente he estado muy agobiado the new road has taken the pressure off the town center la nueva carretera ha descongestionado el centro de la ciudad
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- presionar to pressure sb to +
infinitive/infinitivopresionar a algn para que+ subjunctive/subjuntivoCongress is pressuring him to accept a compromise el congreso lo está presionando para que transijato pressure sb into -inghe was pressured into withdrawing from the competition lo presionaron hasta que se retiró del concurso
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
The Premios Goya del cine español is the Spanish equivalent of Oscars, awarded in January every year by the AACC (Academia de las Artes y las Ciencias Cinematográficas de España). The winners receive a bust of the painter Goya.