Translation of prevent in Spanish:
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1.1 (hinder) [departure/capture] impedir* to prevent sb/sth (
from) -ing, to prevent sb's/sth's -ingimpedir* quealgn/algo + subjunctive/subjuntivothey tried to prevent her (from) leaving intentaron impedir que se fuera in order to prevent that (from) happening para impedir que eso suceda ( or sucediera) she was prevented from attending the conference by a sudden illness una repentina enfermedad impidió que asistiera or le impidió asistir al congreso I've made up my mind to go, so don't try to prevent me he decidido ir, así que no trates de impedírmeloExample sentences1.2 (forestall) [crime/disease/accident] prevenir*, evitar
- When it did eventually get underway there were several red flag incidents, stopping the session and preventing anyone really getting into their rhythm.
- It prevents people from stopping and loitering there for all hours of the night and deciding what mischief they're going to get up to.
- As if on cue, a tire started going flat Saturday, but a timely pit stop prevented him from losing much position.
- Too often one finds that two or three players make the same runs into space when a little bit of thought would have prevented it happening.
- Anything that can prevent a tragedy from happening should be carefully adhered to.
- The prime focus for us is to prevent them happening in the first place.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
In Spain, a gestoría is an office that deals with government agencies on behalf of its clients. It is common practice to use a gestoría to avoid the problems of dealing with Spanish bureaucracy, despite the cost involved.