Translation of prevent in Spanish:
- 1 (hinder)(departure/capture)to prevent somebody/something (
from) -ing, to prevent somebody's/something's -ingimpedirthey tried to prevent her (from) leaving quealguien/algo + subjunctiveintentaron impedir que se fuerain order to prevent that (from) happeningpara impedir que eso suceda ( or sucediera)she was prevented from attending the conference by a sudden illnessuna repentina enfermedad impidió que asistiera or le impidió asistir al congresoI've made up my mind to go, so don't try to prevent mehe decidido ir, así que no trates de impedírmeloExample sentences
- When it did eventually get underway there were several red flag incidents, stopping the session and preventing anyone really getting into their rhythm.
- It prevents people from stopping and loitering there for all hours of the night and deciding what mischief they're going to get up to.
- As if on cue, a tire started going flat Saturday, but a timely pit stop prevented him from losing much position.
- 2 (forestall)Example sentences
- Too often one finds that two or three players make the same runs into space when a little bit of thought would have prevented it happening.
- Anything that can prevent a tragedy from happening should be carefully adhered to.
- The prime focus for us is to prevent them happening in the first place.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.