adjective/adjetivo(no comparative/sin comparativo)
- 1.1 (major) [cause/factor/suspect] principal safety is a/the prime consideration la seguridad es uno de los principales factores/es el principal factor a tener en cuenta to be of prime importance ser* de primordial or fundamental importanciaMore example sentences1.2 (first-rate) [example/opportunity/location] excelente; [cut] de primera (calidad) in prime condition en óptimas condiciones, en excelente forma [car/antique] en excelente estado of prime quality de primera calidad what a prime idiot she is! ¡es una idiota de marca mayor!
More example sentences
- He said that for people trying to get away from a life of drugs, having a roof over their heads was of prime importance.
- One of the prime characteristics of the U.S. upper class is its high level of organization.
- The productivity of agriculture depends upon the relative scarcity of the two prime factors of production: land and labor.
More example sentences1.3 [Mathematics/Matemáticas] [number] primo
- He said that he knew it was a prime site and an excellent location and the sale reflected confidence in the city as a location for development.
- For the main course, the choice of a prime cut of red meat gave the meal a high status and, for dessert, the homely comfort of stewed fruit was made special with the addition of port.
- For meat lovers there were wonderful cuts of prime beef, pork and lamb, rare breed sausages and a whole range of game products.
More example sentences
- This is a prime example of falling standards in public services.
- The three works on this disc are prime examples of Viennese Classicism at its best.
- For many, intimacy is a prime characteristic of chamber music and the Old Laundry provides that cosy and friendly feel for musicians and audience alike.
- Both 13 and 17 are prime numbers, divisible only by themselves and 1.
- The rest of the factors are each power of two times that prime number.
- Every positive integer can be factored into the product of prime numbers, and there's only one way to do it for every number.
- 1 uncountable/no numerable (best time) to be in one's prime o in the prime of life estar* en la flor de la vida or en la mejor edad he's past his prime ya no es ningún jovencito they were cut down in their prime murieron en la flor de la vida when Romanticism was in its prime cuando el romanticismo estaba en su apogeo this bread is past its prime [humorous/humorístico] este pan está algo pasadito
- 2( also Prime)[Religion/Religión] (no article/sin artículo) prima (feminine)
- 3 countable/numerable [Mathematics/Matemáticas] número (masculine) primo
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1.1 (prepare for painting) [wood/metal] aplicar* una capa de imprimación or de base a; [canvas] preparar, aprestarMore example sentences1.2 [pump/gun] cebar
More example sentences
- If directed, prime the glass surface with a conditioning product.
- For Sea Form, Bontecou raked wet printer's ink on a primed plastic surface to depict an ethereal, six-pointed star shape that evokes a feathery nest or squirming creature.
More example sentences1.3 (brief) preparar she was well primed for the interview iba muy bien preparada para la entrevista he'd obviously been primed to say that era obvio que le habían dicho que dijera eso
- He opened one of the Reiven's cargo units and reloaded and replaced his two pistols, strapped on a bandolier of explosives and loaded and primed a rifle.
- Within minutes he found a cache which included AK47 assault rifles, a pistol, six primed grenades, grenade fuses, ammunition, cash, drugs and literature.
- Before priming a grenade, check that the fuse holder is clean and free from obstruction.
More example sentences1.4 (with drink) they were well primed se habían tomado unas cuantas [colloquial/familiar]
- During CPB surgery, the CPB pump must be primed with crystalloid solutions to provide an air-free circuit.
- If your pharmacist assembled the unit for you, check to see if it has already been primed by pumping the unit once.
- The pump's valve is put into the well and then its cylinder primed with water to start the process.
- Kathy was primed with the information and rang.
- Lacklustre reviews had primed me for disappointment with this one, and perhaps that's why, as I turned each page, my delight and fascination grew.
- I couldn't help but feel he was priming me so I'd say all the right things and sell it on his behalf if he should send anyone around for a look.