Translation of private in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (confidential)(conversation)
personalExample sentences1.2in privateshe told me in private
me lo dijo confidencialmente or en confianzacan we talk in private?¿podemos hablar en privado?what you do in private is your own affairlo que hagas en la intimidad or en tu vida privada es cosa tuyathe meeting was held in privatela reunión se celebró en privado or a puertas cerradas
- But the murder of the two ten-year-old Soham girls has sent shockwaves of grief far beyond the private agony of their families.
- It flourishes on the back of faxes and in the margins of copybooks, doodles reveal a billion private boredoms.
- A source of aggravation could be your temporary inability to sort out intensely private feelings.
- 2 2.1 (restricted)(showing)private hearing
privadovista (feminine) a puerta cerradathey married in a private ceremonycelebraron la boda en la intimidadprivate(on envelope)2.2 (for own use, in own possession)
particular(income)for her private use
personalpara su uso personalwith private bathroomcon baño privadoprivate property/land a private hotelun hotel particular (no perteneciente a una cadena)a gentleman of private means [formal]un señor que vive de las rentasExample sentences
- Darknets are gated communities that run on the Internet but are open only to those who belong to the private network.
- It's a facility that's widely used and currently caters for several private planes.
- In fact, in Australia, fewer women belong to private golf clubs now than they did 20 years ago.
- We were in the beer garden outside a pub on the Thames, and there was a private function in a sectioned off part of the ‘garden’.
- Weddings, party nights and private functions already booked will now have to be rearranged.
- I was once working a private function, and four of us were slammed with about 150 cars arriving at the same time.
- 3 3.1 (not official)(visit/correspondence)a private citizen/individual
privadoun particularthe President sent a private message of sympathyel Presidente mandó una nota personal de condolenciathe bishop acted in a private capacityel obispo actuó a título personaltheir private lifesu vida privadain private life she's completely differenten la intimidad es totalmente distinta3.2 (unconnected with the state)(ward)
reservado(patient)private health care
particularservicio (masculine) médico privadoprivate health insuranceseguro (masculine) médico privadoto be in private practice (Medicine)ejercer la medicina privada(in US) (Law)private prosecution the private sector
ocuparse de asuntos civilesel sector privadoExample sentences
- But more business doctoral grads are entering private industry rather than academia.
- In fact this was nothing more than a way of deflecting criticism away from the state while at the same time providing profits for private industry.
- So it turned to private industry to provide the extra manpower needed to implement the program.
- Both also have private practices and perform infertility treatment at the private Assuta Hospital and Herzliya Medical Centre.
- NHS treatment is attractive to patients because the charges are lower than private treatment, sometimes significantly.
- Should you stay in the public system or go private with your medical insurance?
- If he wants you to act a poor man, a cripple, a public official, or a private person, see that you act it with skill.
- Future revenue would be paid to private individuals, and public spending would be financed by income tax.
- Anyone can access it: companies big and small, public institutions and private individuals.
- 4 4.1 (personal, inward)(thoughts/doubts/grief)time is set aside for private study
íntimose establecen ciertas horas para que cada uno estudie por su cuentait's a private joke between uses un chiste que los dos entendemos4.2 (retiring)(person)
- She was a private person, often revealing herself more in her drawings than in anything she said.
- Friends recall him as a private man, a man who did not often reveal his feelings.
- My mom chooses to be more private, and she lives in the western part of the United States.
- 1 (rank) Private Jonesel soldado JonesExample sentences
- He enlisted in the Army in 1980 and was first assigned as a young private as a supply clerk in Germany.
- Abroad, the death of an army private has been followed by the murder of five innocent civilians.
- Even a third class pilot had more power than a private in the army.
- 2also: privates plural(genitals) [colloquial] [euphemistic]partes (feminine plural) pudendas [euphemistic] [humorous]
intimidades (feminine plural) [euphemistic] [humorous]Example sentences
- I think I'd actually rather flash my privates than appear in public in creased clothing.
- Obviously, naming our privates is a matter of personal taste.
- ‘Hey, gimme that,’ says the second kid protecting his privates.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.