Catalán is the language of Catalonia. Like Castilian, Catalan is a Romance language. Variants of it include mallorquín of the Balearic Islands and valenciano spoken in the autonomous region of Valencia.
- 1.1 [Med] [Pharm] fármaco (m) profilácticoMore example sentences
More example sentences1.2 (condom) profiláctico (m) [formal], preservativo (m), condón (m)
- It is an anti-oestrogen widely used in the adjuvant therapy of breast cancer and is also used as a prophylactic to prevent the disease in high-risk women.
- In animal experiments and observational research, vitamin E, a potent antioxidant, looks promising as a prophylactic against cardiovascular disease and cancer, but short term clinical trials have been disappointing.
- Its use as a prophylactic, especially in cardiac surgery, may increase.
- As the primary vehicle for the sale of prophylactics, drugstores brought condoms within the reach of increasing numbers of American males.
- In Maryland, it is illegal to sell condoms from vending machines with one exception: prophylactics may be dispensed from a vending machine only in places where alcoholic beverages are sold for consumption on the premises.
- Faced with an epidemic of gonorrhea and syphilis, American commanders overseas ignored domestic advice-givers and followed the French practice of providing their men with prophylactics.