Translation of proportion in Spanish:
- 1 (part) (no plural) a large or high proportion of the votersgran parte de los votantesa proportion of the money raised
un gran porcentaje de los votantesparte or un porcentaje del dinero recaudadoExample sentences
- Improbable though it sounds, this attitude appears to be shared by a proportion of companies in almost every sector of the British economy.
- What I said was they were given proportionally, and the member's proportion was correct.
- There is also little agreement over what proportion of a prison population needs to be locked up in this way.
- 2 countable and uncountable (ratio) mix them in the proportion four to threemézclelos en una proporción de cuatro partes por cada tresin equal proportionspor partes igualesto vary in direct/inverse proportion with somethingvariar en proporción directa/inversa a algoin proportion to somethingen proporción a algoExample sentences
- Thus the ratio of the proportions of deleterious mutations and nonsynonymous sites to that at synonymous sites is 6.6: 1.
- Medieval theories of ratios and proportions and of the intension and remission of forms were applied to problems of motion.
- The odds ratio is the same whichever way round we look at the table, but the difference and ratio of proportions are not.
- 3 uncountable (proper relation) the head isn't in proportion to the bodyla cabeza no está (bien) proporcionada or está desproporcionada con respecto al cuerpolet's keep things in proportionno exageremosto blow something up out of all proportionexagerar algo desmesuradamenteyou're getting everything out of proportionestás exagerando las cosasestás sacando las cosas de quicio (Spain)his salary is out of all proportion to his talentsu sueldo no guarda proporción con su talentohe has no sense of proportiones un exageradoExample sentences
- Dürer, the first artist in the North to take up these studies, was obsessed throughout his life by the search for ideal proportion.
- Fashion may have changed over the years, but the pursuit of that ideal body proportion has not.
- The curtain style can make or break the total harmony and proportion of a room, and we are constantly asked how to choose the most appropriate style for a window.
- 4also: proportions plural(size)proporciones (feminine plural)
dimensiones (feminine plural)Example sentences
- To my mind this was the defining moment in the great India-Pakistan cricketing divide when contests assumed proportions and dimensions other than mere sport.
- She was small; petite, some might say, in terms of proportions.
- Her relationships assume other proportions even as the country goes through the throes of upheaval.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.