Translation of proportion in Spanish:
- 1 (part) (no plural) a large o high proportion of the votersa proportion of the money raisedgran parte de los votantesun gran porcentaje de los votantesparte or un porcentaje del dinero recaudadoExample sentences
- Improbable though it sounds, this attitude appears to be shared by a proportion of companies in almost every sector of the British economy.
- What I said was they were given proportionally, and the member's proportion was correct.
- There is also little agreement over what proportion of a prison population needs to be locked up in this way.
- 2 countable or uncountable (ratio) mix them in the proportion four to threein equal proportionsmézclelos en una proporción de cuatro partes por cada tresto vary in direct/inverse proportion with somethingpor partes igualesin proportion to somethingvariar en proporción directa/inversa a algoen proporción a algoExample sentences
- Thus the ratio of the proportions of deleterious mutations and nonsynonymous sites to that at synonymous sites is 6.6: 1.
- Medieval theories of ratios and proportions and of the intension and remission of forms were applied to problems of motion.
- The odds ratio is the same whichever way round we look at the table, but the difference and ratio of proportions are not.
- 3 uncountable (proper relation) the head isn't in proportion to the bodylet's keep things in proportionla cabeza no está (bien) proporcionada or está desproporcionada con respecto al cuerpoto blow something up out of all proportionno exageremosyou're getting everything out of proportionexagerar algo desmesuradamentehis salary is out of all proportion to his talentestás exagerando las cosas or (Spain) sacando las cosas de quiciohe has no sense of proportionsu sueldo no guarda proporción con su talentoes un exageradoExample sentences
- Dürer, the first artist in the North to take up these studies, was obsessed throughout his life by the search for ideal proportion.
- Fashion may have changed over the years, but the pursuit of that ideal body proportion has not.
- The curtain style can make or break the total harmony and proportion of a room, and we are constantly asked how to choose the most appropriate style for a window.
- 4also: proportions plural(size)proporciones (feminine plural)dimensiones (feminine plural)Example sentences
- To my mind this was the defining moment in the great India-Pakistan cricketing divide when contests assumed proportions and dimensions other than mere sport.
- She was small; petite, some might say, in terms of proportions.
- Her relationships assume other proportions even as the country goes through the throes of upheaval.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
In Spain, a geographical, social, and culturally homogeneous region, with a clear natural or administrative demarcation is called a comarca. Comarcas are normally smaller than