Translation of proud in Spanish:
adjective -er, -est
- 1 1.1 (pleased, satisfied)(parent/winner)
orgulloso(smile/moment)to be proud
ofsomebody/somethingestar orgullosoI'm very proud of my son dealguien/algoestoy muy orgulloso de mi hijothat's nothing to be proud ofno es como para enorgullecerse or estar orgullosoI hope you're proud of yourself! [ironic]¡me imagino que estarás muy orgulloso! [irónico]to be proud to + infinitivewe are proud to present that great singer …tenemos el honor de presentarles al gran cantante …I am proud to have been his friendel hecho de haber sido amigo suyo me enorgullece or me llena de orgulloI would be proud to present the prizessería un honor para mí hacer la entrega de los premiosto be proud thatestar orgullosowe are proud that our son has been chosen de queestamos or nos sentimos orgullosos de que nuestro hijo haya sido seleccionadoto do somebody/oneself proud [colloquial]his workmates did him proud at his leaving partysus compañeros le organizaron una magnífica despedidathey did us proud at the hotelnos trataron a cuerpo de rey en el hotelyour performance was brilliant: you really did yourself proudtu actuación fue genial, la verdad es que te lucisteExample sentences1.2 (having self-respect)
Example sentences1.3 (arrogant, haughty) to be proud
- This party has a long, proud history of opposing anti-Semitism.
- The after-party was an enormously proud event for me that night.
- The centre was a proud achievement for all concerned and is a wonderful amenity for all age groups.
ser orgullososhe's too proud to admit her mistakees demasiado orgullosa para reconocer su errorhe looked at them with proud contemptlos miró con arrogante desprecioExample sentences1.4 (splendid)
- As I said during the last couple of weeks, everyone in our Association is very proud of her achievements.
- The cousins' parents were delighted and very proud of their sons achievements.
- Before Labour left office, there was a high level of customer satisfaction of 89 per cent, another achievement to be proud of.
- We never like a person who is haughty, too proud, or condescending.
- You're arrogant and proud and you have no sense of what's important in life.
- He was proud, arrogant, and most importantly he thought that he was God's gift to women.
- Dolly's coat is back to almost normal, her tail is bushy and splendid once more, proud and prominent and waving in the air.
- These names were old, proud and noble; fit to house my heroes in pinstriped jerseys.
- Once the proud residences of merchant princes and princelings, they have fallen sadly from grace.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.