Translation of prove in Spanish:
- 1 (verify, demonstrate)(theory/statement)
probar(loyalty/courage)they couldn't prove that she was lying
demostrarno pudieron demostrar or probar que mentíato prove one's pointdemostrar que uno tiene razón or está en lo ciertocan you prove where you were that night?¿tiene pruebas de dónde estaba usted aquella noche?to prove somebody right/wrongdemostrar que alguien tiene razón or está en lo cierto/está equivocadoto prove something right/wrongdemostrar que algo es/no es ciertotests proved the drug (to be) effectivelos experimentos demostraron que el medicamento era eficaz
- 2 2.1 (test)(weapon/system)
Example sentences2.2 (Law)
- Illuminating reality without recourse to truth is proving a difficult proposition.
- It emphasised that ‘the courts are not the place to prove new medical truths’.
- An indictment is far from a conviction but as Martin Kramer points out, this refusal to recognise inconvenient truths is also proving an indictment on their claims of expertise.
- Once academic scientific studies were established they rejected and ridiculed anything spiritual or metaphysical if it could not be proven by a mathematical formula.
- What no one is yet prepared to do is go on record as saying he has proved the Poincare Conjecture.
- She proves a well known (to mathematicians!) theorem of homological algebra.
- The Moores stayed on the homestead long enough to prove it up and get title which would be three years.
- I'm sure he was wondering who could prove it up, and I started thinking I was going to be called as an adverse witness.
- to prove oneselfhe was given three months to prove himselfle dieron tres meses para que demostrara su valíathe new system has not yet proved itself in battle conditionsla eficacia del nuevo sistema en combate está aún por demostrarsehe has proved himself to be a great actorha demostrado ser un gran actor
- 1 (turn out) his advice proved uselesssus consejos resultaron (ser) inútilesit proved to be very difficultresultó ser muy difícilExample sentences
- Completeness, however, is an elusive goal and proves quite difficult to achieve in the arena of electronic state government information.
- Optimism proved short-lived, though, as Sheffield scored twice more to earn a convincing victory.
- But he was determined to prove he could achieve success somehow - and eventually he did.
- 2 (Cooking)Example sentences
- Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with clingfilm and leave to prove for about two hours in a warm area.
- When making bread with the fermented dough, the dough must be removed from the fridge at least 2 hours in advance, to allow it to prove.
- Prove dough for 60-90 minutes until dough passes the finger-tip test.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.