Translation of prove in Spanish:
- 1 (verify, demonstrate)(theory/statement)(loyalty/courage)they couldn't prove that she was lyingto prove one's pointno pudieron demostrar or probar que mentíacan you prove where you were that night?demostrar que uno tiene razón or está en lo ciertoto prove somebody right/wrong¿tiene pruebas de dónde estaba usted aquella noche?to prove something right/wrongdemostrar que alguien tiene razón or está en lo cierto/está equivocadotests proved the drug (to be) effectivedemostrar que algo es/no es ciertolos experimentos demostraron que el medicamento era eficaz
- 2 2.1 (test)(weapon/system)2.2 (Law)Example sentences
- The Moores stayed on the homestead long enough to prove it up and get title which would be three years.
- I'm sure he was wondering who could prove it up, and I started thinking I was going to be called as an adverse witness.
- Illuminating reality without recourse to truth is proving a difficult proposition.
- It emphasised that ‘the courts are not the place to prove new medical truths’.
- An indictment is far from a conviction but as Martin Kramer points out, this refusal to recognise inconvenient truths is also proving an indictment on their claims of expertise.
- Once academic scientific studies were established they rejected and ridiculed anything spiritual or metaphysical if it could not be proven by a mathematical formula.
- What no one is yet prepared to do is go on record as saying he has proved the Poincare Conjecture.
- She proves a well known (to mathematicians!) theorem of homological algebra.
- to prove oneselfhe was given three months to prove himselfthe new system has not yet proved itself in battle conditionsle dieron tres meses para que demostrara su valíahe has proved himself to be a great actorla eficacia del nuevo sistema en combate está aún por demostrarseha demostrado ser un gran actor
- 1 (turn out) his advice proved uselessit proved to be very difficultsus consejos resultaron (ser) inútilesresultó ser muy difícilExample sentences
- Completeness, however, is an elusive goal and proves quite difficult to achieve in the arena of electronic state government information.
- Optimism proved short-lived, though, as Sheffield scored twice more to earn a convincing victory.
- But he was determined to prove he could achieve success somehow - and eventually he did.
- 2 (Cookery)Example sentences
- Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with clingfilm and leave to prove for about two hours in a warm area.
- When making bread with the fermented dough, the dough must be removed from the fridge at least 2 hours in advance, to allow it to prove.
- Prove dough for 60-90 minutes until dough passes the finger-tip test.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Carnaval is the three days of festivities preceding Lent, characterized by costumes, masks, drinking, music, and dancing.