Translation of provoke in Spanish:
- 1(person/animal)she is easily provoked
provocarsalta a la menor provocación or por cualquier cosato provoke somebody
into -ingthey provoked him into losing his temperle hicieron perder los estribosI was provoked into hitting him
lo provocaron y perdió los estribostanto me provocó, que le peguéto provoke somebody to action/retaliationincitar or empujar a alguien a actuar/vengarseExample sentences
- The warning about conduct was meant to stop people deliberately provoking him.
- He could see tears in her eyes, and it made him angry that Jeff was provoking her.
- Nathan was looking at her with a wild expression, the kind he got whenever she had deliberately provoked him.
motivar(interest/curiosity)to provoke thought
despertardar que pensarhis best jokes could not provoke a smile from her
hacer pensar or reflexionarni con el mejor de sus chistes logró arrancarle una sonrisaExample sentences
- Deconstructionism is one of the words that provokes a strong reaction from both sides.
- The Sri Lankan army, which has inflicted widespread damage and constantly harasses local residents, recently killed several local youth, provoking angry protests.
- In fact the commission's analysis of the state of British convergence with the eurozone was very mild, extremely careful and deliberately designed to avoid provoking a bust-up.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.