- 1.1 [Cookery/Cocina] ciruela (feminine) pasa or (Southern Cone/Cono Sur) seca as wrinkled as a prune como una pasa or pasitaExample sentences1.2 (fool) (British English/inglés británico) [colloquial/familiar], tonto, (masculine, feminine)
- However, just as raisins seem different from grapes, so do prunes appear to be distinct from plums.
- Sneak some raisins or puréed prunes or zucchini into whole-wheat pancakes.
- European plums have a thick, firm flesh that make excellent prunes, preserves, or desert fruit.
- Even pathetic old prunes have their moment in the glare of the gossip mags
- McGregor has some good company: that miserable old prune Hugh Morgan (another complete AO) is also a distinguished fellow.
- I had to put up with all these melodramatic old prunes (not just older people, but people of my own age as well) saying that my life was over, and oh, i would never be able to do my degree and get a good job, and oh, it is such a shame!
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1.1 [rose/hedge/tree] podarExample sentences
Example sentences1.2 [essay/article] pulir y acortar; [costs/workforce] reducir*, recortar
- Late February is an optimum time to prune trees and shrubs in your landscape.
- When cleaning out the dead debris from flowerbeds, also prune any shrubs and push plants back into the soil that have heaved with the frosts.
- I pruned the rose bushes and gave them a good soaking - it has been a dry winter.
- You may also need to prune back live branches that are getting out of control.
- More compact plants result when long branches are pruned back to their junction at a lateral branch during early spring.
- But if you prune back hard or after the tree leafs out in spring, it may be slower to come into bloom that year.
- So unless top-line targets are met, the cost base is pruned to compensate.
- Acting quickly, Bern closed underperforming stores, pruned the work force, expanded product lines and revised the merchandising strategy.
- The coalition will be working very hard over the next few months to prune expenditure to bring down this tax rise. The process has already started.