- to pry
intosomethingentrometerseI don't wish to pry, but … enalgono quisiera entrometerme or ser indiscreto pero …keep it away from prying eyesescóndelo de miradas indiscretasExample sentences
- Not for the first time he attempts to personalise the issue by prying into my private affairs.
- At the same time, the French media is slowly but surely prying into the private lives of the politicians - slowly but surely exposing more details about what goes on behind the closed doors of the country's rulers.
- She didn't want to feel like she was prying into Keira's private life by going through her cupboard, but she thought that she'd be doing the girl a favour by cleaning it out.
- (esp US) (+ adverb complement) she pried the lid openlevantó la tapa (haciendo palanca)I pried it out with a spoonlo saqué con una cucharaI'll go with Jim, if I can pry him away from the TViré con Jim si logro arrancarlo de delante del televisorExample sentences
- My idle hands proceeded to pound, wrench, twist, pry, and yank at anything I could get a hold on.
- My ears strained toward the sirens and my heart pounded as the officers used a crowbar to pry away the door.
- I knocked lightly on the door, hoping to pry Angela out of the restroom.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.