Translation of public in Spanish:
- 1.1 (of people) public opinion is against itla opinión pública está en contrait is a matter of public knowledgees un asunto de dominio público or de pública notoriedadthere is growing public concern over this issuela gente está cada vez más preocupada sobre este temait wouldn't be in the public interestno beneficiaría a la ciudadaníato go public (company)salir a bolsapublic enemy number one → eye 1 1 3Example sentences1.2 (concerning the state) it was built at public expense
se construyó con fondos públicosto hold public officetener un cargo públicoto retire from public liferetirarse de or abandonar la vida públicapublic bodyorganismo (masculine) estatal or público1.3(library/garden/footpath)let's go inside: it's too public out here
- Mr Fitzgerald said the right of the press and the public to know matters of legitimate public concern was recognised.
- The trust recognised public concern but did not have any grounds to object to the trial.
- He is bound to recognise the acute public concern rightly aroused where deaths occur in custody.
públicovayamos dentro, aquí no tenemos ninguna privacidadExample sentences1.4 (open, not concealed)
(announcement/protest)she is a well-known public figure
- A number of local residents have put forward proposals to make the wooded public area a greater amenity for villagers.
- The ration of half an hour per week or fortnight is simply not enough and this should not be a case of finance but it should be in the area of public amenity.
- Residents in Redvales angered over plans to build a new nursery in the area held a public meeting on Monday.
públicoes un personaje conocido or una persona muy conocidapublic speaking public speakerorador, (-dora) (masculine, feminine)to make something publichacer algo públicoto go publicrevelar algo a la prensaExample sentences
- He seems to have a strategy, but it is one that he does not seem to have laid open for public view and debate.
- Which soap actor made a public apology for exposing himself on the internet?
- It is the attempt to exclude such views from acceptable public discourse that is anti-democratic.
noun + singular or plural verb→ public access channel
- 1.1 uncountable (people in general) the publicel públicoopen to the publicabierto al público (en general)1.2 countable (audience)Example sentences1.3in public
en públicoExample sentences
- It's a strange but pleasant feeling, meeting one's public for the first time.
- I descend to greet my public at 11 pm and am able to scrutinize at least 6 different chins and sets of grinning teeth at close quarters.
- Suddenly, as if on cue, he straightened his shoulders and walked downstage to greet his public.
- Many experts have thus given up the attempt to communicate with the general public.
- The course is suitable and worthwhile for all members of the general public.
- The final phase of the project will consist of competitions open to the general public.
Cultural Note: public access channel
Un canal de televisión en EEUU reservado para programas de personas y organizaciones que no persiguen fines de lucro.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.