Translation of public in Spanish:
- 1.1 (of people) público public opinion is against it la opinión pública está en contra it is a matter of public knowledge es un asunto de dominio público or de pública notoriedad there is growing public concern over this issue la gente está cada vez más preocupada sobre este tema it wouldn't be in the public interest no beneficiaría a la ciudadanía to go public [company] salir* a bolsa public enemy number one enemigo (masculine) público número uno eye 1 1 3Example sentences1.2 (concerning the state) público it was built at public expense se construyó con fondos públicos to hold public office tener* un cargo público to retire from public life retirarse de or abandonar la vida pública public body organismo (masculine) estatal or público 1.3 [library/garden/footpath] público let's go inside: it's too public out here vayamos dentro, aquí no tenemos ninguna privacidad
Example sentences1.4 (open, not concealed) [announcement/protest] público she is a well-known public figure es un personaje conocido or una persona muy conocida public speaking oratoria (feminine) public speaker orador, (masculine, feminine) to make sth public hacer* algo público to go public revelar algo a la prensa
- Mr Fitzgerald said the right of the press and the public to know matters of legitimate public concern was recognised.
- The trust recognised public concern but did not have any grounds to object to the trial.
- He is bound to recognise the acute public concern rightly aroused where deaths occur in custody.
- A number of local residents have put forward proposals to make the wooded public area a greater amenity for villagers.
- The ration of half an hour per week or fortnight is simply not enough and this should not be a case of finance but it should be in the area of public amenity.
- Residents in Redvales angered over plans to build a new nursery in the area held a public meeting on Monday.
- He seems to have a strategy, but it is one that he does not seem to have laid open for public view and debate.
- Which soap actor made a public apology for exposing himself on the internet?
- It is the attempt to exclude such views from acceptable public discourse that is anti-democratic.
noun/nombrepublic access channel (+ singular or plural verb/+ verbo en singular o plural)
- 1.1 uncountable/no numerable (people in general) the public el público open to the public abierto al público (en general) 1.2 countable/numerable (audience) público (masculine) 1.3in public en público
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
In Spain, a school that is privately owned but receives a government grant is called a colegio concertado. Parents pay monthly fees, but not as much as in a