Translation of purport in Spanish:
transitive verbAmerican English: /pərˈpɔrt/ British English: /pəˈpɔːt/
- [formal]to purport to +
infinitivepretender +a man purporting to be a cousin of mine infinitiveun individuo que dice or afirma ser primo míoa biography which purports to reveal all about …una biografía que, según se afirma, hace grandes revelaciones acerca de …Example sentences
- The institution of marriage they are purporting to protect is an abstraction.
- In doing this, the government is conceding victory to the very people whom it purports to be fighting.
- Clearly she has achieved the good life, but what about the people she purports to represent?
noununcountableAmerican English: /ˈpərˌpɔrt/ British English: /ˈpəːpɔːt/
- [formal]Example sentences
- Notably, these documents purport to describe only lawful campaign activities, and committee Democrats acknowledge they find no fault with those activities.
- More than three dozen of these notes purport to document various fictional characters Morris scatters through his text.
- Ordinarily, it is not sufficient to give the tenor, substance or purport of the libel or slander, or an approximation of the words, or words to a certain ‘effect’, or any other words of a similar import.
- Under the Guarantee Boot agreed to answer for Construction's performance and observance of the Main Contract ‘according to the true purport intent and meaning thereof’.
- He contended that the delay was remedied before any harm or prejudice was caused, and moreover, the defendant Vendors did not object or purport to rescind the agreement until after the breach had been remedied.
- Although many use the mobile clinic as a medical home, it does not purport to have that designation.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.