Translation of qualify in Spanish:
- 1 (equip, entitle)to qualify somebody
forsomething/to + infinitivehis experience should qualify him for a better postsu experiencia debería permitirle acceder a un puesto mejorthis degree qualifies you to practice anywhere in Europeeste título te habilita or te faculta para ejercer en cualquier parte de Europatheir low income qualifies them for some benefitssus bajos ingresos les dan derecho a recibir ciertas prestacionesExample sentences
- Licensing Boards ensure that qualified individuals only practice in that profession.
- The source said they were all signed-up soldiers and as such would be expected to take part in the same activities as other fully qualified soldiers.
- But from now on, a fair salary is going to be whatever it costs to get qualified people in the profession.
- 2 2.1 (limit) I'd like to qualify the statement I made earlierquisiera matizar lo que expresé anteriormente haciendo algunas salvedades ( or puntualizaciones etc. )Example sentences2.2 (Linguistics)
- In spite of criticism from the pulpits, he refused to qualify his unequivocal statements.
- John signed the management representation letter without qualifying the positive assertions about the company's tax filings and liabilities.
- To Barber's credit, he frequently qualifies the overgeneralized statements he makes in one part of his book when he revisits the issues in other parts.
- Secondly, the misconduct is qualified by the word ‘serious’.
- In my view, the present perfect is forbidden when the verb is qualified by an adverbial referring to a time period, except if the time period includes the present.
- So the adjectival clause qualifies conduct, not anybody's state of mind.
- 1 (gain professional qualification)terminar la carreratitularserecibirse (Latin America)to qualify
assomethingsacar el título dealgorecibirsehe hopes to qualify as an architect next year dealgo (Latin America)espera sacar el título de arquitecto el año que vieneespera recibirse de arquitecto el año que viene (Latin America)Example sentences
- In pursuit of this passion, all have put themselves through a rigid training course to qualify as pyrotechnicians.
- While with the fire service in Mayo she completed a two-week basic fire-fighting course and then a breathing apparatus course to qualify as a fire fighter.
- I went on the basic course and passed all the qualifications and then attended an advanced course and qualified as a Master Waller.
- 2 (Sport)to qualify (
forsomething)clasificarse ( paraalgo)Example sentences
- The competition is going right down to the wire this year and there are four competitors still able to qualify and the competition on Saturday will be the decider.
- They were both very difficult games overall, but we are still confident as a team that we will make it through to the final Cup qualifying round.
- The 16 players in each category will be paired in a round robin system with the top eight qualifying for the final round.
- 3 (be entitled)to qualify (
forsomething)tener derecho (they qualify for help aalgo)tienen derecho a recibir asistenciaExample sentences
- Their illegal status meant they could not qualify for state benefits and could be ejected during recessions without the host governments facing accusations of compulsory repatriation.
- Experts estimate that as many as 80% of the pensioner population will eventually qualify for means-tested benefits.
- But it may also be possible to find ways of offering discounts to other groups, he said - such as those on low wages who earned just too much to qualify for council tax benefit.
- 4 (count) [formal]to qualify
assomethinghe qualifies as a Romanticpuede considerárselo (como) un románticoExample sentences
- With respect to compelled speech, the court found that recruiting qualifies as expression and that the schools disagree vehemently with the content of the military recruiters' speech.
- What qualifies as ‘real penetrating human drama’?
- Eventually, it becomes so overwhelming that you feel the need to reveal it to one or two people (yes, despite the fact that this involves sharing the secret, it still qualifies as solitude in my opinion).
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.