noun plural -ries
- (excavation)Example sentences
- The materials extracted from the quarries - used widely in the local building industry - contained large quantities of fibrous amphiboles.
- He was a crack skier and mountaineer, whose strength had been built up breaking up stones in a limestone quarry during the war.
- The operators want to dig deeper seams within the quarry - up to 15 metres below the existing level.
transitive verb -ries, -rying, -ried
extraer (de una cantera)(land/hillside)to quarry something
abrir una cantera en
forsomethingthe area has been quarried for quartzse han abierto canteras en la zona para extraer cuarzoExample sentences
- As part of these efforts, prisoners dug sand for mortar, quarried building stone and mortar lime, and manufactured more than 1.2 million bricks.
- Lime was quarried in Rockland and shipped by rail to distant points, but this was an industry in decline.
- Glass can be recycled indefinitely, helping the environment by reducing the amount of raw materials being quarried from the countryside, saving energy and helping to reduce global warming.
- At a significantly later date the rock dome was quarried, and some of the phase 1 carvings were broken through.
- These volumes have been quarried by historians for decades for ‘shocking truths’ of ‘intolerable conditions’ of filth and depravity in early industrial towns.
- The scar created by quarrying the hillside is visible from a wide area, but working of the scar face is now completed and progress is being made below the level of surrounding land.
intransitive verb -ries, -rying, -ried
noun plural -ries
- (prey)Example sentences
- Moreover, hunting is not a natural encounter between predator and quarry because, unlike animals, humans are responsible for their actions.
- Secondly, a fox is not a recognised quarry for a bird of prey.
- Yet, that's about how long falconry - the sport of flying birds of prey at wild quarry - has been around.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.