Translation of quicken in Spanish:
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1.1 [rate/pulse] acelerar; [procedure] agilizar* he quickened his pace apretó or aceleró el paso the quickening pace of the changes el ritmo cada vez más acelerado de los cambios 1.2 [interest] despertar*; [appetite] estimularExample sentences
- Now, that quickening we call interest originates in the nervous system, but is not limited by it.
- In 1773 he became sheriff of Bedford, where an inspection of the local jail quickened his interest in the sufferings of prisoners.
- Yet, obviously, such transference might quicken interest and offer other ways of thinking about a subject.
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo
- 1 1.1 [rate/pulse] acelerarse; [procedure] agilizarse* her heartbeats quickened when she heard his voice al oír su voz el corazón empezó a latirle con fuerza 1.2 [interest/enthusiasm] aumentar, acrecentarse* [formal]Example sentences
- The bandsmen, all dressed in their serious splendour, played at a determined pace, which quickened the pulse.
- As the ‘kurathi’ started narrating her tale of woe, the pace of the songs quickened as did the steps of her dance.
- She also urged Japan to quicken the pace of a project aimed at disposing of the huge stockpiles of chemical weapons left in China by retreating Japanese armies.
- 2 [literary/literario] [seeds/bulb] brotar
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
In Mexican politics, a prospective party candidate for the presidency is called a tapado. Candidates traditionally emerge from within the party but their identity is not revealed until the candidate is officially declared: they remain tapados (hidden), thus arousing a great deal of speculation. Under the rule of the