Translation of quiet in Spanish:
- 1 1.1(silent) (street)isn't it quiet in here!
silencioso¡qué silencio hay aquí!be quiet!(to one person) ¡cállate!(to more than one person) ¡cállense! or (in Spain also) ¡callaros or callaos!I couldn't keep the children quiet
¡silencio!no logré que los niños mantuvieran silenciohe gave them money to keep them quietles pagó para que no hablasen or para que se callaranExample sentences
- Already, she could hear the quiet, muffled noise of violins and people talking.
- There is something very peaceful and satisfying about the sound of their quiet munching and the noise of their feet on frosty grass.
- You can reduce this noise by selecting quiet equipment or by mounting the unit on a noise-absorbing base.
(not loud) (engine)I don't mind them talking, but they have to keep it quiet
- Yet, not all places were quiet and devoid of activity on Tuesday.
- She also blames the row on the media desperately looking for an argument in the quiet holiday period.
- By the time the outcome is known, we will have entered the traditionally quiet summer period that usually lasts from May to September.
silenciosono me importa que hablen, pero que lo hagan en voz bajahe has a very quiet voicehabla muy bajo1.3 you're very quiet today
tiene una voz muy suavehoy estás muy calladahe's a quiet boyes un chico muy calladowe are lucky to have quiet neighborstenemos la suerte de tener unos vecinos muy tranquilos or que hacen poco ruido
- 2 2.1(peaceful) tranquilolet's just go for a quiet drinkvamos a tomarnos tranquilamente una copaall quiet herepor aquí todo tranquilo or sin novedadI finally bought it for him: anything for a quiet lifeal final se lo compré: ¡con tal de que me dejara en paz!2.2(calm, low-key) (fury/irony)
lleno de calma(colors/shades)they had a quiet wedding
discretola boda se celebró en la intimidadshe dresses with quiet good tastees sobria y elegante en el vestirto lead a quiet lifellevar una vida tranquilaExample sentences2.3
(not busy) (day)the markets were very quiet yesterday
- Simple chords, restrained riffs and quiet imagery lead to just a perfect pathos running through each and every song.
- This is not a restrained man of quiet honour, but a proud warrior of the sea - hair flowing in the breeze.
- Indeed, in their own quiet, understated way, that's what they've always done.
tranquiloayer no hubo mucho movimiento en la bolsa2.4(private) en privadoI'd like a quiet word with youme gustaría hablar contigo en privadoI kept quiet about the billno dije nada de lo de la facturaI'd like you to keep it quietquisiera que no dijeras nada (de lo que te he dicho)Example sentences
- Already, a quiet drink in the pub is forever interrupted by people rattling charity boxes.
- It has emerged that the hotel was one of the establishments the prince favoured when he wanted to enjoy a quiet drink away from his security guards and the prying eyes of tourists.
- It meant all thoughts of a quiet drink were shattered.
- 1.1 (silence) on the quieta escondidas
con sordina [colloquial]Example sentences1.2 (peace, tranquillity)
- The pace is dictated by the early morning quiet of a misty golf course laid out along Georgia's ocean coast.
- However, in order to do that, you have got to have relative calm or quiet.
- We were rewarded with the sound of calling Whooping Cranes piercing the quiet of the early morning, then a close fly over.
- Their need for peace and quiet must be respected.
- Once the gardens are finished, they will be open to the public free of charge on condition that visitors respect the peace and quiet of the hall as a place of retreat.
- I was desperate for an evening of peace and quiet, and a bit of easy entertainment, but I was being denied it.
transitive verb(American English)
- 1.1 (silence)(uproar/protests)
imponer silencio enExample sentences1.2 (calm)
- She flashes me a brief look of annoyance, quieting me, then changing her demeanor to once again calm and composed, she continues with her explanation.
- Soon everybody quieted down, and remained silent as we tried to figure out where to go to next.
- His silences often precede a weighty thought though I doubt the rattling in his head ever quiets.
disminuir or bajar de volumen(room)1.2 (become calmer)
quedarse en silencio(person/animal)
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.