Translation of railroad in Spanish:
- 1 (system) what a way to run a railroad!¡vaya manera de llevar las cosas!(before noun) (station/line)
de trenespuente (masculine) de ferrocarrilrailroad networkred (feminine) ferroviariared (feminine) ferrocarrilera (Chile) (Mexico)railroad yardExample sentences
- The rolling stock was purchased second hand, often as scrap from the mainline railroads.
- The Erie built it to connect its mainline with other railroads.
- It is a reminder, too, that the story of the C&O is about more than railroads and railroading.
- 1 (push, force)(bill/measures)to railroad somebody
tramitar rápidamente (sin la debida discusión)
intosomethingthey were railroaded into accepting the offerlos apremiaron or presionaron para que aceptaran la ofertaExample sentences
- I was railroaded into a way of making music I wouldn't have gone for.
- We won't be railroaded into a decision, you know.
- Instead of taking the lead in tackling the problem, once again they are being railroaded into joining a ‘global coalition’.
- Another chilling measure was railroaded through federal parliament this week without any noticeable media coverage.
- Much of this legislation, cynically titled the USA Patriot Act, was railroaded through Congress within six weeks of the terrorist attacks of that fateful September morning.
- This was railroaded through so fast most local governments didn't even know about it.
- 2 (convict unfairly) (US)condenar injustamenteExample sentences
- Criminal cops ride roughshod over prosecutors and juries and railroad people into prison or worse.
- Prosecutors and court judges routinely promoted and rewarded police misconduct, as hundreds of innocent persons were railroaded and tossed into prison.
- In the end, while one can reasonably argue that Arnold got what he deserved, the indications are that Jesse was railroaded and ended up serving time for a crime he did not commit.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.