- 1 (Zoology)Example sentences
- Mr Watkinson, from Constable Burton, near Leyburn, won best male with his aged ram.
- So a bellwether is the head ram with a bell hung around its neck.
- Young rams fertilize ewes using coursing tactics, whose success is independent of their dominance rank.
- 2 2.1 (Mech)martillo (masculine) pilón
martinete (masculine)Example sentences2.2
also: battering ram2.3 (on ship)Example sentences
- He says one man with a hoe ram on a Bobcat can break the same amount of concrete that two or three men could do with a jackhammer.
- The high-speed tine rams push into the turf and then pull out quickly, leaving little or no scuffing at the top of the hole.
- Its bronze ram could smash enemy ships and armed soldiers could leap aboard a foe's vessel in hand-to-hand combat with spears and swords.
- The galley's major weapon was originally a ram on the water-line, used to hole enemy ships or to smash their oars.
- The Virginia carried ten major guns (four in each broadside, one bow and one stern gun) and an iron ram.
transitive verb -mm-
- 1.1 (force) (+ adverb complement) he rammed the stake into the groundhincó or clavó la estaca en la tierrahe rammed his hands into his pocketsse metió las manos con fuerza en los bolsillosdon't ram the clothes into the drawerno aprietes la ropa en el cajónExample sentences1.2 (run into)
embestir contrahe rammed his car into a treeestrelló el coche contra un árbolExample sentences
- The raven shot down through the dark and rammed his beak into the sergeant's hat.
- She pulled her sword close, and rammed the blade's tip into the ground with great force.
- Swerving around, he then rammed them into the wall with all the force he could bear.
- Taylor drove off and rammed head-on into a car driven by a pensioner before he managed to get away.
- Never stop to argue a fine point with another driver who has just rammed into your stationary car at a red light.
- In a matter of seconds my father had rammed into the car in front of us.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.