- 1 1.1 (stating preference) I'd rather walk than go by bus prefiero andar a ir en autobús I'd rather not preferiría no hacerlo ( or no ir etc) I'd rather you didn't smoke preferiría que no fumaras I'd rather not think about that prefiero no pensar en eso which would you rather have, an apple or an orange? ¿qué prefieres, una manzana o una naranja? I'd do anything rather than give up dancing haría cualquier cosa antes que dejar de bailar I'd rather die than … preferiría morir a … rather you than me! ¡menos mal que eres tú y no yo! 1.2 (more precisely) we're acquaintances rather than friends somos conocidos, más que amigos, no somos amigos, más bien conocidos she has a shop, or rather a stall tiene una tienda, o mejor dicho un puesto 1.3 (instead) he wasn't upset about it; rather, he was relieved no estaba disgustado sino más bien aliviado
- 2 (fairly) bastante; (somewhat) algo, un poco it's rather a long way queda bastante lejos it's rather a o a rather good book el libro es bastante bueno or no está nada mal she looks rather like Janet se parece algo or un poco a Janet I rather suspect you're right yo diría que tienes razón I rather think that … me da la impresión or tengo la sensación de que … are you tired? — yes, I am, rather ¿estás cansado? — sí, bastanteMore example sentences
- Some of the monkeys were friendly, but others were behaving rather oddly.
- Alex, who is rather arrogant and unpleasant, begins to receive strange text messages.
- It was, rather strangely, his extensive knowledge of astrology that led to his first appointment.
The CAP (Curso de Adaptación Pedagógica) is a course taken in Spain by graduates with degrees in subjects other than education, who want to teach at secondary level. Students take a CAP in a particular subject, such as mathematics, literature, etc.