Translation of rather in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (stating preference) I'd rather walk than go by bus prefiero andar a ir en autobús I'd rather not preferiría no hacerlo ( or no ir etc) I'd rather you didn't smoke preferiría que no fumaras I'd rather not think about that prefiero no pensar en eso which would you rather have, an apple or an orange? ¿qué prefieres, una manzana o una naranja? I'd do anything rather than give up dancing haría cualquier cosa antes que dejar de bailar I'd rather die than … preferiría morir a … rather you than me! ¡menos mal que eres tú y no yo! 1.2 (more precisely) we're acquaintances rather than friends somos conocidos, más que amigos, no somos amigos, más bien conocidos she has a shop, or rather a stall tiene una tienda, o mejor dicho un puesto 1.3 (instead) he wasn't upset about it; rather, he was relieved no estaba disgustado sino más bien aliviado
- 2 (fairly) bastante; (somewhat) algo, un poco it's rather a long way queda bastante lejos it's rather a o a rather good book el libro es bastante bueno or no está nada mal she looks rather like Janet se parece algo or un poco a Janet I rather suspect you're right yo diría que tienes razón I rather think that … me da la impresión or tengo la sensación de que … are you tired? — yes, I am, rather ¿estás cansado? — sí, bastanteExample sentences
- Some of the monkeys were friendly, but others were behaving rather oddly.
- Alex, who is rather arrogant and unpleasant, begins to receive strange text messages.
- It was, rather strangely, his extensive knowledge of astrology that led to his first appointment.
exclamation/interjección/ræˈðɜːr; rɑːˈðɜːr; rɑːˈðɜː(r)/
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
The Premios Goya del cine español is the Spanish equivalent of Oscars, awarded in January every year by the AACC (Academia de las Artes y las Ciencias Cinematográficas de España). The winners receive a bust of the painter Goya.