Translation of rather in Spanish:
adverbAmerican English: /ˈræðər/ British English: /ˈrɑːðə/
- 1 1.1 (stating preference) See examples: I'd rather walk than go by busI'd rather notprefiero andar a ir en autobúsI'd rather you didn't smokepreferiría no hacerlo ( or no ir etc)I'd rather not think about thatpreferiría que no fumaraswhich would you rather have, an apple or an orange?prefiero no pensar en esoI'd do anything rather than give up dancing¿qué prefieres, una manzana o una naranja?I'd rather die than …haría cualquier cosa antes que dejar de bailarrather you than me!preferiría morir a …1.2 (more precisely) See examples: we're acquaintances rather than friends¡menos mal que eres tú y no yo!she has a shop, or rather a stallsomos conocidos, más que amigosno somos amigos, más bien conocidos1.3 (instead) See examples: he wasn't upset about it; rather, he was relievedtiene una tienda, o mejor dicho un puestono estaba disgustado sino más bien aliviado
- 2 (fairly) it's rather a long wayit's rather a o a rather good bookqueda bastante lejosshe looks rather like Janetel libro es bastante bueno or no está nada malI rather suspect you're rightse parece algo or un poco a JanetI rather think that …yo diría que tienes razónare you tired? — yes, I am, ratherme da la impresión or tengo la sensación de que …¿estás cansado? — sí, bastanteExample sentences
- Some of the monkeys were friendly, but others were behaving rather oddly.
- Alex, who is rather arrogant and unpleasant, begins to receive strange text messages.
- It was, rather strangely, his extensive knowledge of astrology that led to his first appointment.
exclamationAmerican English: /ˈræðər/ British English: /rɑːˈðəː/
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Mezcal is an alcoholic drink similar to