Translation of reach in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 countable (distance) to have a long reachtener buen alcance1.2 (in phrases) within reacha mi ( or tu etc) alcancewithin arm's reach I like to have my books within easy reachme gusta tener los libros muy a manowithin somebody's reach, within the reach of somebodyal alcance de alguienwithin the reach of the average familyal alcance de la familia mediawithin reach of somethingcerca de algothe house is within easy reach of the stationla estación queda muy cerca de la casaout of o beyond reach
la casa está muy bien ubicada con respecto a la estaciónfuera de su ( or mi etc) alcancekeep medicines out of the reach of children put it out of o beyond her reachponlo fuera de su alcance or donde no pueda alcanzarlobeyond the reach of the lawfuera del alcance de la leywe were living out of o beyond reach of LondonLondres quedaba muy lejos de donde vivíamos1.3 (action) (no plural) she made a reach for the keys, but I got there firsttrató de agarrar or (esp Spain) coger las llaves pero yo me le adelantéExample sentences
- She will play happily so long as the dolly is within her reach should she desire it.
- I nearly slapped him, but he danced out of my reach before turning back.
- That shocked me into action, and without thinking, I jumped away from his reach.
- 2 countable (of river) the upper/lower reaches of the Clydela cuenca alta/baja del ClydeExample sentences
- It is designed to divert water from the upper reaches of the river to the northeast coast.
- Some creeks or river reaches are fed by springs or groundwater seeps.
- The dam is in Hubei province, to the east of Sichuan and Chongqing, and water flow has surged over warning levels after the upper reaches of the Yangtze River started flooding.
- 1 1.1 (with hand) I stood on a box to reach itme subí a una caja para alcanzarlocan you reach the top shelf?¿alcanzas al estante de arriba?Example sentences1.2 (extend to)
llegar aher feet didn't reach the floorlos pies no le llegaban al suelo or hasta el suelomy daughter reaches my shouldermi hija me llega al hombro or por el hombromi hija me da por el hombro (Colombia)Example sentences
- Unwittingly she slumped in the chair, her legs stretched out, and reached her hands out towards the fire for a bit of warmth.
- He reached his hand out to me and stretched his arm around my waist, pulling me closer to him.
- And he reaches his hands out and just touches a baby's face.
- It is quite likely that you will not be able to reach, so hold on to a belt or towel instead.
- To protect this greatest of treasures, it was placed where no ordinary human being would ever be able to reach.
- But, being taller, he is nevertheless able to reach.
- 2 2.1 (arrive at, come to)(destination/recipient/limit)
llegar a(stage/figure)we'll reach France by dawn
alcanzarllegaremos a Francia antes de que amanezcathe news reached his earsla noticia llegó a sus oídosthe news reached her next dayla noticia le llegó al día siguienteapplications must reach us by …las solicitudes deben ser recibidas antes de …she's reached 21ha llegado a or ha cumplido los 21I've reached the point where I don't care any morehe llegado a un punto en que ya me da igualinflation reached 30%la inflación alcanzó el 30% or llegó al 30%Example sentences
Example sentences2.2 (achieve)
- The two shipments known to have reached Scotland arrived by cargo vessel.
- Upon reaching the bright blue door she opened it and went into a small central room, walking right up to the desk and meeting the secretary's eyes.
- When finally reaching the front door of Jason's house she spoke.
(agreement/compromise)I've reached the conclusion that …
- Unemployment and poverty have reached catastrophic levels, especially in the east of the country.
- Water levels reached the critical point in the early hours, breaching flood defences.
- In industrial areas and major cities, unemployment reached enormous levels.
alcanzarhe llegado a la conclusión de que …Example sentences
- It reflects even more on their achievement of reaching the final that they have done so without two of their most influential players.
- Well done girls, it was a great achievement to reach a County Final.
- It is hoped an agreement will be reached that is satisfactory to most people but there will complaints and criticism.
- 3 3.1 (contact)contactar or ponerse en contacto conyou can reach me at my hotelpuede contactar conmigo or ponerse en contacto conmigo llamando a mi hotelwhere can I reach you?¿dónde te puedo localizar or encontrar?
¿cómo puedo ponerme en contacto contigo?Example sentences3.2 (gain access to)
(public/audience)his works reach a very limited readership
- I have only been in contact with him by e-mail and my attempts to reach him by telephone have failed.
- Attempts were made to reach her by telephone, so she changed her number.
- He has no colleagues, only a contact, who reaches him through newspaper advertisements to pass on details of the next assignment.
llegar asus obras llegan a un número muy limitado de lectoresthe party is trying to reach the ethnic minoritiesel partido está tratando de ganarse a las minorías étnicasExample sentences3.3 (bribe)
- In previous times, radio was very local, but broadcasts now reach a national, even international audience.
- An increasing proportion of commentators hardly ever write at all but occupy regular slots on radio or television, often reaching a much wider audience than any author could hope to.
- Findings aired on all major television news stations, reaching an estimated total audience of 8,636,000.
- Unfortunately, I doubt this message will reach those who are the real source of the problem.
- The Nelson Mandela Foundation and I are convinced that his message will reach those most at risk of HIV.
- First, movies serve as our most influential history teachers, reaching and swaying audiences that the professional historian cannot even dream of.
- 1 (extend hand, arm) she reached into her pocket and took out a coinmetió la mano en el bolsillo y sacó una monedashe reached across the table to shake handsme ( or le etc) tendió la mano desde el otro lado de la mesato reach
forsomethingI reached for the phonetraté de agarrar or (esp Spain) coger el teléfonohe reached for another chocolatealargó la mano para agarrar or (esp Spain) coger otro bombónreach for the sky! (American English)¡manos arriba!
- 2 (stretch far enough) I can't reach!¡no alcanzo!to reach
tosomethingalcanzarshe can only reach to the second shelf aor hastaalgosolo alcanza al or hasta el segundo estante
- 3 (extend)extendersethe lake reaches as far as the borderel lago llega or se extiende hasta la fronterahis influence reaches down through the centuriessu influencia se extiende a lo largo de los siglosthe water reached (up) to our kneesel agua nos llegaba hasta las rodillasher dress reached (down) to her anklesel vestido le llegaba a los tobillos
- 1verb + adverb 1.1 (with hand)
alargar or extender la manoto reach out
alargó or extendió la mano para agarrar or (esp Spain) coger el cuchillo1.2 (with thoughts, emotions)to reach out
estaban tendiendo la mano en busca de amistadto reach out to the poor and oppressed
tenderles la mano or tratar de llegar a los pobres y oprimidos2verb + object + adverb, verb + adverb + object
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.