Translation of reason in Spanish:
- 1 uncountable and countable (cause) the reason that I'm telling you is …that was the main reason I acceptedla razón por la que te lo digo es …el motivo por el que te lo digo es …there's no reason why we should failesa fue la razón principal por la que aceptéI'd like to know the reason whyno tenemos por qué fracasarI'll want to know the reason why!quisiera saber por qué or el porquéall the more reason he should go¡me vas ( or van etc) a tener que dar explicaciones!I left it there for a reasonrazón de más para que vayafor health reasonspor algo lo dejé ahíwith (good) reasonpor razones or motivos de saludfor reasons best known to herselfcon razónshe has good reason to be upsetpor razones or motivos que solo ella conocevete a saber por qué [colloquial]reasontiene razones or motivos para estar disgustada
forsomethingthe reason for the delayrazón or motivo dealgowhat reason did he give for leaving?la razón or el motivo del retrasoreason to +¿qué razón or motivo dio para irse? infinitiveI have reason to believe that …there's no reason to worrytengo razones or motivos para pensar que …should you have any reason to complainno hay por qué preocuparseyou've no reason to complainsi usted tuviera algún motivo de quejano tienes motivos para quejarteExample sentences
- His main reason for quitting was personal, he said, as he wanted to spend more time with his wife and two children.
- The reason for the present event, according to their explanation, is immodest behavior.
- Their goal is simply to cause terror without a justified reason.
- 2 uncountable (faculty) to reach the age of reasonthe Age of Reasonalcanzar la madurezto lose one's reasonla Edad de la Razónel Siglo de las LucesExample sentences
- He believed that with his powers of reason and his faith he could master the world about him.
- We must not believe that all opinion is ideology, that reason is only power, that there is no truth to prevail.
- For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream.
- 3 uncountable (good sense) See examples: there's some reason in what she sayswhere's the reason in starting over again?hay cierta lógica en lo que diceto listen to reason¿qué sentido tiene volver a empezar?to make somebody see reasonatender a razoneshe couldn't make her see reasonhacer entrar en razón a alguienI'm prepared to do anything, within reason, to …no pudo hacerla entrar en razónit stands to reasonestoy dispuesto a hacer cualquier cosa, dentro de lo razonable, para …es lógico
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
Opus Dei - Latin for "God's Work" - is a Catholic organization founded in Spain in 1928. The Opus became very influential in Spanish society, above all by founding schools and universities. The aim was to create an élite which would spread Christian ideals throughout society. The University of Navarre is one of its foremost institutions.