Translation of reason in Spanish:
- 1 uncountable and countable (cause) the reason that I'm telling you is …la razón por la que te lo digo es …that was the main reason I accepted
el motivo por el que te lo digo es …esa fue la razón principal por la que aceptéthere's no reason why we should failno tenemos por qué fracasarI'd like to know the reason whyquisiera saber por qué or el porquéI'll want to know the reason why!¡me vas ( or van etc. ) a tener que dar explicaciones!all the more reason he should gorazón de más para que vayaI left it there for a reasonpor algo lo dejé ahífor health reasonspor razones or motivos de saludwith (good) reasoncon razónfor reasons best known to herselfpor razones or motivos que solo ella conocevete a saber por qué [colloquial]she has good reason to be upsettiene razones or motivos para estar disgustadareason
forsomethingrazón or motivothe reason for the delay dealgola razón or el motivo del retrasowhat reason did he give for leaving?¿qué razón or motivo dio para irse?reason to + infinitiveI have reason to believe that …tengo razones or motivos para pensar que …there's no reason to worryno hay por qué preocuparseshould you have any reason to complainsi usted tuviera algún motivo de quejayou've no reason to complainno tienes motivos para quejarteExample sentences
- His main reason for quitting was personal, he said, as he wanted to spend more time with his wife and two children.
- The reason for the present event, according to their explanation, is immodest behavior.
- Their goal is simply to cause terror without a justified reason.
- 2 uncountable (faculty) to reach the age of reasonalcanzar la madurezthe Age of Reasonla Edad de la Razónto lose one's reason
el Siglo de las LucesExample sentences
- He believed that with his powers of reason and his faith he could master the world about him.
- We must not believe that all opinion is ideology, that reason is only power, that there is no truth to prevail.
- For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream.
- 3 uncountable (good sense) there's some reason in what she sayshay cierta lógica en lo que dicewhere's the reason in starting over again?¿qué sentido tiene volver a empezar?to listen to reasonatender a razonesto make somebody see reasonhacer entrar en razón a alguienhe couldn't make her see reasonno pudo hacerla entrar en razónI'm prepared to do anything, within reason, to …estoy dispuesto a hacer cualquier cosa, dentro de lo razonable, para …it stands to reasones lógico
entender (razonando)she just couldn't reason it out
por más que pensaba or discurría, no lo podía entender
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.