Translation of reason in Spanish:
- 1 u and c (cause) razón (feminine), motivo (masculine) the reason that I'm telling you is … la razón por la que te lo digo es …, el motivo por el que te lo digo es … that was the main reason I accepted esa fue la razón principal por la que acepté there's no reason why we should fail no tenemos por qué fracasar I'd like to know the reason why quisiera saber por qué or el porqué I'll want to know the reason why! ¡me vas ( or van etc) a tener que dar explicaciones! all the more reason he should go razón de más para que vaya I left it there for a reason por algo lo dejé ahí for health reasons por razones or motivos de salud with (good) reason con razón for reasons best known to herself por razones or motivos que solo ella conoce, vete a saber por qué [colloquial/familiar] she has good reason to be upset tiene razones or motivos para estar disgustada reason
forsth razón or motivo dealgo the reason for the delay la razón or el motivo del retraso what reason did he give for leaving? ¿qué razón or motivo dio para irse?reason to + infinitive/infinitivoI have reason to believe that … tengo razones or motivos para pensar que … there's no reason to worry no hay por qué preocuparse should you have any reason to complain si usted tuviera algún motivo de queja you've no reason to complain no tienes motivos para quejarteExample sentences
- His main reason for quitting was personal, he said, as he wanted to spend more time with his wife and two children.
- The reason for the present event, according to their explanation, is immodest behavior.
- Their goal is simply to cause terror without a justified reason.
- 2 uncountable/no numerable (faculty) razón (feminine) to reach the age of reason alcanzar* la madurez the Age of Reason la Edad de la Razón, el Siglo de las Luces to lose one's reason perder* la razónExample sentences
- He believed that with his powers of reason and his faith he could master the world about him.
- We must not believe that all opinion is ideology, that reason is only power, that there is no truth to prevail.
- For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream.
- 3 uncountable/no numerable (good sense) there's some reason in what she says hay cierta lógica en lo que dice where's the reason in starting over again? ¿qué sentido tiene volver a empezar? to listen to reason atender* a razones to make sb see reason hacer* entrar en razón a algn he couldn't make her see reason no pudo hacerla entrar en razón I'm prepared to do anything, within reason, to … estoy dispuesto a hacer cualquier cosa, dentro de lo razonable, para … it stands to reason es lógico
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
reason outverb + object + adverb, verb + adverb + object/verbo + complemento + adverbio, verbo + adverbio + complemento entender* ([ razonando ]) she just couldn't reason it out por más que pensaba or discurría, no lo podía entender
reason withverb + preposition + object/verbo + preposición + complemento razonar* con
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
A piñata is a hollow figure made of cardboard, or from a clay pot lined with colored paper. Filled with fruit, candy, toys, etc, and hung up at parties, people take turns to stand in front of them blindfolded and try to break them with a stick. They feature in Mexican posadas