Translation of receive in Spanish:
- 1 1.1(letter/award/visit)
reducir (South America)(serve/ball)received with thanks the sum of £30
recibirrecibí (conforme) la suma de 30 librasshe receives £9,000 annuallycobra or [formal] percibe 9.000 libras anualeshe received multiple injuriessufrió lesiones múltiplesshe received a blow to the headrecibió un golpe en la cabezato receive treatmentser tratadohe received an honorary doctoratele confirieron un doctorado honoris causawe finally received word of their safe arrivalfinalmente recibimos noticias de que habían llegado biento receive sentenceser sentenciadoshe received the death penaltyle aplicaron la pena de muertea container is placed underneath to receive the fluiddebajo se coloca un recipiente para recoger el líquidoExample sentences
- Sir - I was saddened to read the story in last week's Western People about people who abandon pets after receiving them as Christmas presents.
- The award winner receives a medallion presented in an attractive protective pouch and a certificate.
- Anyone who earns money or receives income should pay taxes and the truth is, everyone does pay taxes.
- These are my ideas so far, but any further contributions will be gratefully received.
- A letter confirming the ballot paper would be sent out was also received yesterday.
- You might have noticed it when sending and receiving Christmas cards last month.
- A 53-year-old man and a 38-year-old woman were last night charged with receiving stolen property in connection with the robbery.
- Police Captain Blackie Swart confirmed that a scrapyard employee was to appear in court today for receiving stolen property.
- Within a year of his return he was sentenced to hard labour at Newcastle for receiving stolen property.
Example sentences1.2 (react to) the play was well received by the critics
- In also receiving the ball, a tennis player, in order to return the ball effectively, must ascertain the type of spin which has been imparted to the ball so as to be able to compensate in the return stroke for the spin or rotation of the ball in flight during trajectory.
- The player served to is the only player allowed to receive the serve.
- Unlike other racquet sports like squash or racquetball, in tennis, a point can be made by the server or by the player receiving the serve.
la obra fue bien recibida or acogida por los críticos
- Ten percent said ‘you are receiving bread and wine, in which Jesus is really and truly present.’
- He had ignited a controversy over the Eucharist, claiming the right for the laity to receive both the bread and the wine at Mass.
- It also states that as the two churches share the same beliefs about the presence of Christ in communion, Anglicans should not be excluded from receiving the Roman Eucharist.
la obra tuvo una buena acogida por parte de la críticaExample sentences1.3
also: received past participle of(opinion)he questioned the received wisdom that money doesn't lead to happiness
- Enthusiastically receiving the rules and given free rein to be as chauvinistic as they like, the five men meet in the pub to think up some new rules of their own.
- Violin solos by Mr Jenkins and solos by other instrumentalists were enthusiastically received.
- Even the Duchy quarterly The Cornish Banner received the book enthusiastically.
generalmente aceptadocuestionó la creencia popular de que el dinero no hace la felicidadReceived Pronunciationpronunciación (feminine) estándar
- 2 (welcome, admit) [formal] to be received into the Churchser admitido en el seno de la Iglesiahe was received into the Franciscan orderentró en la orden de los FranciscanosExample sentences
- Not until 1600 did Elizabeth consent to receive him at court.
- Heads of State on official visits to France, mayors of major cities and prominent figures are received at the City Hall by the Mayor and the Council of Paris.
- On his recent visit to New Zealand, he was received by our government officials.
- After she recovered, she was received into the Catholic Church.
- According to Catholic custom, they receive a special name and are received into the Church.
- With Newman's guidance, he was received into the Roman Catholic Church in 1866.
- 3 (Radio, Television) are you receiving me?¿me recibes?
¿me escuchas?Example sentences
- As transmitters are switched on and new areas receive BBC digital radio broadcasts the postcode checker on the website will also be updated.
- Scares about mobile phones have centred on two areas - the handsets and the base stations, whose antennae receive and broadcast signals.
- Listeners will continue to receive BBC World Service programmes in English from 21.00 to 05.00.
- 1 (acquire) to be on the receiving end of somethingser el blanco or la víctima de algoit is better o more blessed to give than to receivemás vale dar que recibir
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Cultural Note: Received Pronunciation - RP
La pronunciación estándar del inglés británico, que se basa en el habla educada del sur de Inglaterra. Solo alrededor del 5% de los habitantes de las islas británicas hablan con una RP. Durante un largo tiempo los locutores de la BBC hablaron con una RP, también conocida como "BBC English".