Translation of receive in Spanish:
- 1 1.1(letter/award/visit)(sacrament/absolution)(stolen goods)comerciar con(serve/ball)received with thanks the sum of £30she receives £9,000 annuallyrecibí (conforme) la suma de 30 librashe received multiple injuriescobra or [formal] percibe 9.000 libras anualesshe received a blow to the headsufrió lesiones múltiplesto receive treatmentrecibió un golpe en la cabezahe received an honorary doctorateser tratadowe finally received word of their safe arrivalle confirieron un doctorado honoris causato receive sentencefinalmente recibimos noticias de que habían llegado bienshe received the death penaltyser sentenciadoa container is placed underneath to receive the fluidle aplicaron la pena de muertedebajo se coloca un recipiente para recoger el líquidoExample sentences
- Sir - I was saddened to read the story in last week's Western People about people who abandon pets after receiving them as Christmas presents.
- The award winner receives a medallion presented in an attractive protective pouch and a certificate.
- Anyone who earns money or receives income should pay taxes and the truth is, everyone does pay taxes.
- These are my ideas so far, but any further contributions will be gratefully received.
- A letter confirming the ballot paper would be sent out was also received yesterday.
- You might have noticed it when sending and receiving Christmas cards last month.
- A 53-year-old man and a 38-year-old woman were last night charged with receiving stolen property in connection with the robbery.
- Police Captain Blackie Swart confirmed that a scrapyard employee was to appear in court today for receiving stolen property.
- Within a year of his return he was sentenced to hard labour at Newcastle for receiving stolen property.
Example sentences1.2 (react to) the play was well received by the critics
- In also receiving the ball, a tennis player, in order to return the ball effectively, must ascertain the type of spin which has been imparted to the ball so as to be able to compensate in the return stroke for the spin or rotation of the ball in flight during trajectory.
- The player served to is the only player allowed to receive the serve.
- Unlike other racquet sports like squash or racquetball, in tennis, a point can be made by the server or by the player receiving the serve.
la obra fue bien recibida or acogida por los críticosla obra tuvo una buena acogida por parte de la críticaExample sentences1.3
- Ten percent said ‘you are receiving bread and wine, in which Jesus is really and truly present.’
- He had ignited a controversy over the Eucharist, claiming the right for the laity to receive both the bread and the wine at Mass.
- It also states that as the two churches share the same beliefs about the presence of Christ in communion, Anglicans should not be excluded from receiving the Roman Eucharist.
also: received past participle(opinion)he questioned the received wisdom that money doesn't lead to happinessgeneralmente aceptadoReceived Pronunciationcuestionó la creencia popular de que el dinero no hace la felicidadpronunciación (feminine) estándar
- Enthusiastically receiving the rules and given free rein to be as chauvinistic as they like, the five men meet in the pub to think up some new rules of their own.
- Violin solos by Mr Jenkins and solos by other instrumentalists were enthusiastically received.
- Even the Duchy quarterly The Cornish Banner received the book enthusiastically.
- 2 (welcome, admit) [formal] to be received into the Churchhe was received into the Franciscan orderser admitido en el seno de la Iglesiaentró en la orden de los FranciscanosExample sentences
- Not until 1600 did Elizabeth consent to receive him at court.
- Heads of State on official visits to France, mayors of major cities and prominent figures are received at the City Hall by the Mayor and the Council of Paris.
- On his recent visit to New Zealand, he was received by our government officials.
- After she recovered, she was received into the Catholic Church.
- According to Catholic custom, they receive a special name and are received into the Church.
- With Newman's guidance, he was received into the Roman Catholic Church in 1866.
- 3 (Radio, Television) are you receiving me?¿me recibes?¿me escuchas?Example sentences
- As transmitters are switched on and new areas receive BBC digital radio broadcasts the postcode checker on the website will also be updated.
- Scares about mobile phones have centred on two areas - the handsets and the base stations, whose antennae receive and broadcast signals.
- Listeners will continue to receive BBC World Service programmes in English from 21.00 to 05.00.
- 1.1 (acquire) See examples: to be on the receiving end of somethingit is better o more blessed to give than to receiveser el blanco or la víctima de algo1.2 (in tennis) 1.3más vale dar que recibir(especially British English) (Law)1.4 (play host) [formal] [dated] she doesn't receive on Sundayscomerciar con mercancía robadano recibe los domingos
Cultural Note: Received Pronunciation - RP
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Today is Aberri Eguna, Basque national day, and a public holiday in the Basque country of Spain.